Farish 08 conversion

rhydddu009

Hi, I have a new farish 08 which was tested and runs well under DC. Oddly though at low speed it tended to pulse along- i.e. almost live a wave it would go slow, then fast, then slow when the controller was set at a constant speed. I put this down to a poor quality controller and something to do with back EMF.

I then installed a decoder (ztc 255) and tested this on my programming track (yes it read the address as 0003, great). Then I tried to run it and even at the top speed step, it just creeps along... weird.

I'm tempted to fiddle with the Cvs for PWM and back EMF (although this Cv is set at default to 0 anyway).

anyone got any ideas as to what's happening?

Cheers Colin

There is nothing wrong with the Farish pickups *if* correctly adjusted. Unfortunately Farish don't seem to get it right on many locos from the factory: pickups not touching wheels is common on their new small shunter mechanisms.

Once pickups are sorted, my solution would be to fit a decoder which is known to work well with the new Farish diesel shunter mechanisms. The CT DCX74/75 is my usual recommendation. The CT may then require tuning of the voltage reference, PWM frequency and P&I values.

Archived