On board camera anyone tried it?

Hi,

If it hasn't already been mentioned for those looking for a live view it might be worth looking at those FPV cameras and transmitters for drones.

Some are quite small and some claim quite reasonable resolutions.

For those who are really into electronics some FPV cams have video inputs which appear are intended for superimposing text onto the video output sent out from the camera. On drones this can be used to send info from the on board flight controller back to the pilots eye display on the operators radio control. This could be repurposed to send back DCC address or battery voltage, train speed etc.

FPV cams and transmitters might not send back sound but if you are watching live the train will be making some sound.

Regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Since my original posts on this topic, things have moved on, and I have had very acceptable results from a cube camera mounted on a bogie flat wagon. The Chinglish instructions were appalling but there is a website that spells them out in plain English. The YouTube clip of my existing layout can be viewed on 

P1040345.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

I wonder how long it will be before you can get a camera to fit in the cab, With a video link to a screen/controller where you can actually rive your train. With DCC not long I think. Probably easier with none steam though.

• RMweb Premium

I've now got my Pi Zero 2 W (like hen's teeth just now - world chip shortage) and the 8Mpix Pi Camera

Should be able to mount it in/on a vehicle of some sort, without two much of a problem

The Camera module is about 25mm wide by 24mm high and about 8mm deep. It connects by a flexi cable to any full fat Pi (not a Pico!).

The Pi Zero is about 29mm wide by 64mm long.

The advantage of this is that the camera is high quality (1080p) and the Zero has Wi-Fi & Blue Tooth on board and a dedicated camera interface, so live streaming of video should be possible.

I intend to use rechargeable batteries kept topped up from track current.

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I wonder how long it will be before you can get a camera to fit in the cab, With a video link to a screen/controller where you can actually rive your train. With DCC not long I think. Probably easier with none steam though.

Probably possible now as there are some very small cameras out there (smaller than the Pi module, where most of the size is the PCB, the camera is only 8mm x 8mm) and connecting to DCC via something like a Zero is possible.

So drive you train and control your camera.