Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sarf London inspired sidings

Hi Matt.

Have you seen the Clyde Puffer Gary made for St Mellion ?

It was based on a Slipway kit which was vacu-formed plastic converted to a waterline model and substantially enhanced with detailed fittings.

St Mellion Quayside 2.jpg

St Mellion Quayside 1.jpg

• Like 7

That looks nice; bet mine doesn't end up looking that good 😂.

Yesterday was spent gluing the printed sheets on to the various thickness of card. 

I may start the cutting process tomorrow if I have time before I leave for little jaunt to fens. 

• 2 weeks later...

After struggling to find some modelling time for ages, I forced myself to sit down and start cutting. 

Over 40 minutes later whilst I watched a bit of TV, I managed to cut out the base of the puffer. I do like these Scalescene kits but they do take a while to cut cleanly. 

IMG_20240413_011935118.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

An hour or two this evening has brought me up to step 41. It's starting to look like boat now.

I'm quite pleased with it so far.

It's not been too fiddly so far, and in the main has gone together well. 

IMG_20240428_001201717_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240428_001217255.jpg

• Like 8

At the end of my last session I was surprised to find that I needed to trim a section of the bow. 

After lining up the sides and fitting the bow rails, I noticed that upright section on the front of the bow was too tall to fit the bow plate. After trimming it back I realised that I'd bent the wrong end of the boat upwards early in the building process. This is probably going to make the whole vessel look rather odd when it's finished, but is too late to remedy. 

I shall take it as a lesson learnt and if I decide to build another (after the beauty of these types of downloadable models is you can just print more off) make sure I remember it's the stern that has the lift and not the bow.

Anyway, deckhouse done tonight. 

IMG_20240501_000557480.jpg

IMG_20240501_000607260.jpg

• Like 3

Completed up to step 89 this evening.

This included some of the finer details. I didn't have any fine chain for the rudder controls, so i stripped some multi-strand wire and twisted it until it gave a similar effect. 

IMG_20240503_233106958.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Almost done now. I need to drill the hole for the mast. I'm fortunate that my daughter was throwing out some unwanted games and amongst them was a load of plastic rodding from a kerplunk type game; they have tapered ends and seem to be the diameter I need too.

There's a few more bits of detail to add - including to the handrails - but I don't have any at the moment so it could a little while before it's completed properly. 

IMG_20240506_230321925.jpg

IMG_20240506_230256539.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Poor grandma
  • Like 6