Sarf London inspired sidings

A change in domestic circumstances should have meant more time for modelling, but as usual there have been other demands that have had a greater priority. 

However, I did manage to start the water side of things after watching some very informative You Tube videos. 

I wasn't happy with the paint colouration of the first attempts, but the general water like finish that using PVA gave was pretty good. When I get some more time, I'm looking at over painting the PVA with acrylics to improve the colour blending as at the moment it's a bit pants. I also would like to put some wooden fender posts in place too to break up the concrete facing. P.S still not happy with the crate colours..

IMG_20220710_154235595.jpg

IMG_20220710_154205272.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Spelling error
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Multigauge said:

A change in domestic circumstances should have meant more time for modelling, but as usual there have been other demands that have had a greater priority. 

However, I did manage to start the water side of things after watching some very informative You Tube videos. 

I wasn't happy with the paint colouration of the first attempts, but the general water like finish that using PVA gave was pretty good. When I get some more time, I'm looking at over painting the PVA with acrylics to improve the colour blending as at the moment it's a bit pants. I also would like to put some wooden fender posts in place too to break up the concrete facing. P.S still not apply with the crate colours..

IMG_20220710_154235595.jpg

IMG_20220710_154205272.jpg

Hi Matt.

That is starting to look interesting.

I would add the wooden fenders before you add any more surfacing to the water so that you can get it all blended in together.

On our St Mellion layout I used Winsor and Newton Galleria acrylic paint mixed with other acrylics to get the water colour. I had several goes at it before I got it to look right. This comes in a tube or tub and is relatively thick. So if  you apply it with a wide flatty brush it will stand up a little and you can create a wave effect. I then applied several coats of yacht varnish using the same technique to build up the clear water effect. 131906626_lorraine2169.thumb.jpg.9e3b1d600742065e61a07ed90283948c.jpg

1394048212_StMellionHarbourNew12014.thumb.jpg.d9fef73a7ba22ccaac034654c5042737.jpg

I hope that this is of interest.

All the best

Ray

P.S. You might remember the centre warehouse building as one that Mick Foster built for one of the early club layouts. It is now on its third layout ! Mind you, I had to repair it quite a bit and re-paint it, but it is still quite fragile.

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 7 months later...

I can't quite believe how long it's been since I updated this thread, but little had been done for some time. I became distracted with DCC and other stuff.

However, a creative burst of energy the other night found a fiddlestick made up and put in place for one of the sidings (a shorter one is also planned allowing for a wagon or two to be run in to the building. In addition, I also took time to make up the decking of the viaduct which is part of the scenic break. I'm hoping to have a short section of Flexi track laid in the future complete with 3rd rail to enhance its Sarf Londoness.

On the operating side, I have found that slow speed operation of my peckett (and my other 040)  whilst exceptional for the most part, frustratingly stalls at one part of plain track (my Hornby 08 runs perfectly). I think I may have a slight high spot where the stone setts butt up to the rail, so I need to resolve this.

IMG_20230303_134526536.jpg

IMG_20230303_134442869.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Matt.

Definitely long time since last post.

You might check the pick-ups on the Peckett to make sure that they are maintaining contact with the wheels. But be careful, they are very fragile. Just a gentle tweak with fine tweezers should do the job without over straining them.

My computer crashed just after Christmas and I had to get a new one. Lost all my old pictures, but gradually re-building my archive.

All the best

Ray

P.S. You are most welcome to visit us on a Tuesday night.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A little over a month later and I've laid the top level track and 3rd rail!  A fiddly bit of work where I ended up sacrificing a few insulator pots along the way, but overall I'm rather chuffed with it. 

Next things to do are cable troughing - on order - track painting and ballasting.

I also want a good yard crane to place in the dock area; not hugely sure on any I've seen on the market of late. I was even thinking of a mobile crane like a Coles, but is there any others to choose from? 

Hi Matt,

Recovered from the Easter eggs ?

Don't worry about the pots, you always loose a few. Even drilling the holes for them is a pain as the drills are very thin and break very easily.

Sounds like you are making progress. Show us some pictures when you get a bit further on.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

A few shots of work this far. Fenders done. Third rail and pots added and painted. 

I have realised - not sure why it's suddenly dawned on me - that I will need to address the brick work on the inside of the viaduct and hide the two supports I made to hold one of the wall sections in place. 

Waiting on some scalemodelscenery items to continue this and another project I'm working on.

IMG_20230413_154125875.jpg

IMG_20230413_154201059.jpg

IMG_20230413_154028128.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

It seems like an age since I posted an update, but that's because it is!

I finally got round to ballasting the line in the viaduct and adding cable trunking. It needs some tidying but I'm liking the overall look a lot. I'm thinking of adding a load of long static grass and buddleia to give the real life effect. I also carried out some work on the meagre electrics too, as some of the wiring was a bit dainty and fragile; the swan neck lamp and brazier are on the same 9v feed. When I had the concept of this micro in my mind, it was always to operate the sidings with a peckett, and then I bought a Dapol B4 to give it an industrial feel, but blue 08 runs like a dream and looks so at home; plus I don't have anything suitable from the steam era to exhibit on the viaduct line..

IMG_20230716_162232730_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230716_162106497.jpg

IMG_20230716_162147880_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230716_162206677_HDR.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Change some words
  • Like 13

I need to do so much more to this:

Improve the barge.

Set mooring lines to barge.

Find a decent crane.

Find some decent period vehicles.

Rebuild the horse and cart I made, painted and promptly damaged.

Add loads and other paraphernalia.

Add signage.

Add greenery.

Details/weather rolling stock. 

Time never seems to be on my side, but at least this weekend I've managed something.

Hi Matt.

That's certainly starting to look good.

Looks like you went for the 00 ballast on there. We tend to use the N gauge ballast on 00, it looks better and you can make it sit tidier. But don't worry, it is done now.

With regard to cranes, there are the old Airfix kits for the dockside crane and the railway mounted type. both still available from Dapol. If you want something smaller, there is a road crane in the Hornby Trackside range. I think that there is one of those available at the moment, but possibly only available as an exclusive to the Hornby Collectors Club. If you wanted one I could get it for you.

I think that the 08 has more flexibility in the wheels, so they can follow the contour of the track better than the Peckett.

I am working on the Crystal Palace boards at the moment, bringing them up to presentable scenic standards which requires the en-masse treatment of the ground areas. The second stage will be to develop the in depth scenics which can be done in smaller areas and I am intending to use static grass as part of the process. I have got the applicators and a varied selection of grasses from 2mm to 10mm in length. I have seen demonstrations on how to to do this, but will be experimenting before going in on a bigger scale.

Keep up the good work.

Might we see you up the club one night during the school holidays ? Open every Tuesday.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

Hi Ray, 

Good to hear from you. I used Dapol n gauge ballast, but it does look cruelly large in the close ups. 

I'm aware of the dockside cranes - which I do like, but I do think the will dominate such a small scene. I'm not aware of Hornby road crane - need to check it out - and thank you for the offer. 

The running quality of the Hornby 08 is amazing. I was tempted to see if could get it fitted out with DCC sound, but it's hard enough getting the chip in it, let alone a speaker! I'm always looking for a bargain TTS version🙏 though.

Glad to hear Crystal Palace is still going on. I'd imagine there's a fair bit of grassing to do.

I've used static grass before to mixed success, but I do think practice is key. For that reason I'm working (slowly) on tiny diorama with the good lady to work how to get the best effects. 

I'd like to visit, but I'm not sure how/when ATM. Any evening is difficult due to childcare. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking for a crane for ages and then one came along as part of a wider collection of trackside vehicles on a well known auction site. 

Also did a little more work scenic work on the viaduct today. The intention was to use a turf ground cover direct on to some wet plaster type modelling goo, but although it mostly went to plan, the white is showing through in places. I've also added some small bits of material to represent low bushes, but more variety is need to show off buddleia and the like.

IMG_20230727_164110307~2.jpg

IMG_20230727_164118767~2.jpg

IMG_20230727_164235568.jpg

IMG_20230727_164202423.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Spelling error
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

A fair bit of 'testing' this weekend to try and get the uncoupling reliable, and the running little bit better has proven successful. A small amount of work done this weekend on detailing the yard area too. 

IMG_20231015_172248513.jpg

IMG_20231015_172324448.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Spelling
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

A little bit of shuffling this evening with other locos other than the Peckett. 

I started with my Heljan 07. A lovely looking model, but it could have better running qualities. I'd hope it had a five pole motor and a bit less wobble, but saying that, my main gripe is coupling up to wagons using kadees; very hit and miss. Next up my beautiful Dapol B4. Wonderful runner, but again, the uncoupling a problem. 

I then turned to some larger motive power just for fun. Both Heljan and both run well, the 33 more suited to the layout than the 47, but neither can be used for shunting due to their size.

IMG_20231120_223748050~2.jpg

IMG_20231120_223827172.jpg

IMG_20231120_232936353.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
On 01/12/2023 at 06:00, sb67 said:

Nice set of photo's, the 07 looks very much at home there. 🙂

Hi Matt.

Happy Easter.

Any new inspiration in sarf London ?

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2024 at 11:56, wainwright1 said:

Hi Matt.

Happy Easter.

Any new inspiration in sarf London ?

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray,

Hope you're well. 

In a word no.

Modelling time has been non existent for a while. Work and home life have put paid to that.

That being said, I'm off now for a week so fingers crossed.

I have downloaded a scale scenes Clyde puffer to build and hope to start making it today.

Happy easter.

Edited by Multigauge
Spelling error