Halton Holgate platform length

Emmo

I have trawled the internet and books I have on the line but I can't for the life of me find anything that tells me what the length of Halton Holgate (Spilsby to Firsby line in Lincolnshire) is. I know it was very short, probably just long enough for one coach and loco but as I am making a model of it I would like it to be as accurate as I can. Any help greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

As an asside, Halton Holgate station used to belong to my late uncle.  The fourth picture on Dissused Stations feature my cousin sitting on the door step!
(http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/halton_holgate/)
The old platform was very short, probably no more than 150'?  Maybe two coaches long?  Sorry I can't be more help.  Dissued stations does have an image from an OS map that might be helpful.  Good luck, I'd love to see the finished layout.
IIRC (it was the 1970s!) there was a blue enamaled BR style "no Engine to pass this point" sign over the enterence to the goods shed and a much older GNR "failure to fatsen the gate fine of 40 shillings" or words to that effect sign still on the original gate leading to the old goods yard.  The station building was whitewahed whereas the goods shed was bare brick.  The old gents still had the urinals in it!

Many thanks for your help on this guys, I guess I'll split the difference between the suggested 100' and 150' and make it 125'! Very interesting that the station belonged to your late uncle Phatbob, I don't suppose you have any photos of it other than the ones that are published on the web and in books?

I will in time post pictures of the model. It is in 3mm and is L-shaped, one end is Spilsby station and the other is Halton Holgate, with the track terminating hidden under the bridge. The track is laid at the Spilsby end and I have attached a photo here of the station building I have made. 

Station1.JPG

Edited by Emmo
  • Like 5

If you go on the NLS map site, and go for the Explore Georeferenced option, you get a very useful measurement tool, and there is no need to estimate distances. The only problem with HH is deciding where the platform stops by the overbridge, but it seems to measure around 102 feet.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

If you go on the NLS map site, and go for the Explore Georeferenced option, you get a very useful measurement tool, and there is no need to estimate distances. The only problem with HH is deciding where the platform stops by the overbridge, but it seems to measure around 102 feet.

I've never used the measuring tool on the NLS website before, but I agree that the platform length seems to scale at somewhere between 100 and 105 feet in length.

Edited by Dungrange

As far as I can see from the photographs I have the platform actually goes right up to the bridge and terminates without a ramp. As far as 3mm is concerned, I have been modelling now for about 55 years on and off and have never modelled in any other scale - I wasn't aware there were other scales, lol!

• 2 years later...

Can I bump this topic, please? I'm still interested in the progress being made on the two stations, as I have drawn them both up in 4mm but never got any further. I'd be very interested in how shunting the goods shed is intended at Halton Holegate.

Shunting wagons into and out of the goods shed would be a very simple task for the pick-up goods in either direction, further movement of wagons, into and out of the necks for example, would be done using pinchbars. Locomotives wouldn't have been allowed to actually enter the goods shed from either direction.

With a long enough pick-up goods train, it would be possible to use the part or all of train (but not the brake van which would remain on the running line within the "loop" formed by the two yard connections) to pass through the goods shed to drop off or pick up wagons in either of the two neck sidings (depending on which way the goods was heading - so it would shunt in both directions) without the loco itself passing through the goods shed.

That would work on a model but it wouldn't replicate how the prototype would have been worked.

There are a handful of ingenious modellers out there who could probably make something akin to the magnet-based working model road vehicle systems work but even they would be somewhat pushed to replicate a man/men using pinchbars.