problem with my new airbrush

It looks as if the mixing was the problem.

Glad you got it sorted.

I'm now using a Badger mixer (a bit like a coffee frother). Thanks to everyone.

I noticed that tool somewhere the other day & was hunting down this thread to post about it.

You've saved me a job. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, the brush is working well-enough for me to go back to trying to work out how to mix colours that look the way I think they ought to :)

But along the way, I'll note that thinners is also part of the problem. As someone said earlier, railmatch *are* easier, and their thinners works ok. My biggest problem was to start with phoenix paints (because some of their shades look correct to me) and their airbrushing thinners. For whatever reason, that thinners dries too quickly for my technique. After cutting my teeth on railmatch I came back to phoenix - cellulose thinners also dries a bit too quickly. Bizarrely (to my way of thinking), white spirit is "just right" for these enamels! Last year when I was brushing enamel washes, I foreswore white spirit because it wasn't set after a day (next wash diluted the previous). Now I'm wearing an "I love white spirit" badge. Go figure.

ĸen

For whatever reason, that thinners dries too quickly for my technique.

That's interesting. When I bought Phoenix thinners the other week, I went for the general purpose rather than quick-drying airbrush thinners. I don't really know why but it sounds like a good decision.:)

White spirit tends to be a little oily which is probably why it takes longer to go off.

I trust you're pleased with the results from your 200 now?

Archived