What am I looking at?

OK, so if you take a look at:

The Sigalbox

instruments, what am I seeing. I know that the two taller cases are the up and down block instruments, and are three wire (3 position) instruments, and show the line as clear/blocked/train on line. I know that the middle instrument is the bell for (the left hand) instrument, is that the key for the other end that I am seeing sticking out? Or, did seperate keys also exist, besides the bell box?

Basically, what I want to know is should I be building a 2nd box for both of my instruments with a key & bell? The idea is that the layout will be set up to mostly be operated as a signalman, rather than a driver. The further I get into this, the more like that I feel like going- actually "driving" the trains doesn't hold that much appeal to me, it is the mechanics around that operation which I seem to enjoy with the 4mm layout. (if I want to _drive_ a steam loco, I pick one up and go to the track & run it...)

I'm guessing all possiblities are out there- the idea was going to be to buy two morse keys (single acting, just keys and not bugs/paddles) to use as the inputs. Loosely, I was thinking of putting them on top of the instruments at least for now, even if that isn't really right. If the keys just stick out of the box, then I don't need morse keys that look the part...a microswitch and a bit of wood with a lever is cheaper...(and cruder) than a proper morse key. No, I can't quaffle a couple of keys from work...the thought did cross my mind !. (I know we have them...but they are more modern plasticy type keys)

(I also have a thread about counting, which discusses a bit of what I have been playing with...suffice to say, getting the computer to do a good job of being both Appleby and New Biggin while I am in charge of Long Marton is entertaining)

James

• RMweb Gold

Correct link

The left hand instrument is a non pegger - ie the "handle" is not functional, the tapper on the bell is for sending/receiving the codes, the bell for the right hand instrument is off scene to the right. The Midland used split instruments rather than combined like some other companies

Sometimes the bog format would be aseier- sometimes, not so much :)

June1.JPG

June2.JPG

June3.JPG

June4.JPG

June5.JPG

June6.JPG

Show the case I have made up to date, to hold the gubbins together. I don't think that I am going to do too much rebuilding at this time, but I might in the future. The whole thing of how mechanical signaling worked is interesting to me.

James

I like the instrument. The eccentric operating the microswitches is noted and the choc blocs used as plug couplers is not a million miles away from what goes on behind a BR standard block instrument... It was trying to signal my oo gauge railway that drove me to 12 inch to the foot modelling. Thing's have come full circle now and i'm building token machines for my garden railway..

Archived