Colouring "Rueun" Station Buildings

Mike Beard

Hi Folks,

I have quietly acquired both kits by "Die Modellbahnwerkstat"in Wuppertal for "Rueun" station. Now there are assembly instructions a-plenty for these laser cut kits and I'll probably use my favourite Canopy 560 white glue for assembly. So far, so good but the problem comes at painting. From the photos I've seen and got, especially from Google Maps, the buildings are that rather wonderful aged pine colour, almost black but not quite. Has anybody out there got experience of painting these kits and what would they recommend and how would you use them? These two kits are expensive and had to be bought through friends in Europe as "Die Modellbahnwerkstat" did not want the hassle of paying VAT to the UK Government but then neither do I.

• RMweb Premium

Not those specific ones but similar - not paint but Colron wood dye. Jacobean Oak comes to mind and then a wash with Valejo sepia to bring out the plank details.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. I've been messing about with a piece of 1mm plywood, sanding it, staining it and then sanding off the raised grain. I have some dark Oak dye but I also have Revell #84, a really dark brown and there is also Humbrol #173 - Track Colour to consider. A way to go yet. Jim Easterbrook - could you publish more photos of your model please?

Pardon me for putting my oar in, but I think you are a little too pale and cold on the concrete lower wall it should have a hint of beige to it, the timber could maybe be a bit darker but I suspect if you do that you won't see the laser etching, on the end wall the RUEUN letters and the ends of the timbers beneath those letters are picked out in white. Other than that very nice work.

David