Cambrian steel wagon kits

JN

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Only God is perfect.

Half the assembly fun is overcoming the kit shortcomings!

I have built dozens of Cambrian kits, and none were difficult - just a little fiddly, occasionally.

CJI.

Ah - but them ballast hoppers in that 'orrible hard brown plastic in the 80's were definately  ............. "challenging" 🙏

• Agree 1

The Cambrian Kits for the most part are easy to build. Just don't rush!. The First Wagon Kits I ever Built were x2 BBA Steel Wagons and X2 POA Scrap Wagons. That was 31 years ago and still use em.  Need updating with better Brake Handwheels and crying out for some weathering too. Here's my BAA/BBA which get run along side my Bachmann models

Cheers Trailrage

Screenshot_20230813_082737_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230813_082718_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230813_082655_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230813_082451_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230813_082439_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2021 at 07:53, wagonbasher said:

I changed the bogies so they pivot on brass bolts rather the plastic arrangement as supplied.

Can you describe what you did as I'm building one and have run into trouble with the bogie fastenings breaking.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dave75 said:

Can you describe what you did as I'm building one and have run into trouble with the bogie fastenings breaking.

ive had to have a look as i cant remember.

I have cut the side frames which I think fold down, off the piece that holds the frames at the right width and has the pivot hole in the middle.  Looks like I chucked that bit away (lets call it the pivot plate) and replaced with plasticard.  there is a little 1mm x 1mm fillet of square evergreen strip tucked in between the 'pivot plate and the bogie sides (just out of sight) for strength and to keep it square.  Then there is a reliable but not pretty 4BA bolt which i will have araldited to the underside of the wagon floor, slotted head to the wagon floor.  obviously i will have hacked off whatever mounting was there.   I drilled a hole in the pivot plate (i will have done that before I attached to the frames.  Then a 4BA bolt and a blob of araldite to stop it coming undone.

hope that helps?

Andy 

Brilliant, thanks Andy. Gluing underneath makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of drilling through the wagon with the bolt head on the deck, but that would require a load to cover it. 

I've got a pair of turbots that can have the same treatment too.