Best couplings for reliable shunting - 00?

• RMweb Gold

I gave some consideration to HD/Peco auto couplings when I 'reverted' to non-scale couplings 5 years ago after re-entering the hobby.  They have some advantages, notably the ease of lifting a vehicle directly vertically out of a train if needed; this means that less room needs to be provided at the sides of fiddle yard roads for access to uncouple stock you want to take out of a rake.  They look no better than tension locks, which are much smaller and less obtrusive than they were back in the day (remember those Lima monstrosities?), though, and my memories of childhood mates's HD layouts and use on my own layouts did not enhance my impression of their reliability.  I'm fairly sure that they can be made reliable with proper attention paid to mounting height and good tracklaying, though!

In the end I accepted NEM profile tension locks as being the path of least resistance, easily available, and reliable in use, and have managed to 'tune' them out of my awareness when I am operating the layout.  But I dare not use scale couplings even at the ends of auto rakes that never need to couple to anything, because that would immediately highlight the appearance of the tension locks and make me unhappy with them.

• 1 month later...

Hello again and thanks everybody for the help. My stock is now converted to a mixture of Kadee #5 draft box couplings and EZ Mate NEMs. They have provided greater reliability and of course the option for magnetic uncoupling. The reason for the choice is that both can be sourced easily and fairly inexpensively whereas the Kadee NEMs work out at triple the price per wagon. Luckily, they work well together so I'm glad I tried.

Edited by GWR5764
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 25/06/2021 at 11:34, Dave John said:

I use the Alex Jackson.

Advantages. Cheap , unobtrusive, remote uncoupling, wagons push buffer to buffer. Wagons can be uncoupled then pushed into location. 

Disadvantages. You have to make and fit them, they won't just plug in. Needs a moving uncoupling magnet or solenoid. They need to be accurate in terms of centreline and height. They can be intolerant of tight curves. 

To give you an idea;

I use guitar string. Corrosion resistant and more easily soldered than stock spring steel wire. 

I 've played guitar for 65 years and guitars strings are definiley not corrosion resistant. they are steel wire . 18 thou plain is the recommended thickness for Alex Jackson couplings.