Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Irish coaches

Hi All

I'm looking for help in identifying the Irish coaches shown in the attached photo (what they are and where they are).

The back of the photo is marked "BA", "14/8/76" and "13/128".

I'm presuming BA is the location?

Also that 13/ 128 may be the coach numbers?814102558_unknown7.jpg.cca96a8c0efb115c5d462eb6a821ada4.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Don't know for certain, but I think these may be railcar trailers, possibly ex UTA ones.

The left hand one (immediately behind the open wagons) looks like an centre car from a railcar set, and while I can't identify the right hand one, that may be a driving car the wrong way round, ie with the cab next to the centre car.

If my guess is right, these may be in a carriage works somewhere, or possibly a scrap line having been withdrawn.

8 hours ago, carlwebus said:

Hi All

I'm looking for help in identifying the Irish coaches shown in the attached photo (what they are and where they are).

The back of the photo is marked "BA", "14/8/76" and "13/128".

I'm presuming BA is the location?

Also that 13/ 128 may be the coach numbers?814102558_unknown7.jpg.cca96a8c0efb115c5d462eb6a821ada4.jpg

The vehicle on the right is a former Great Northern Railway Board BUT Railcar.  The narrow horizontal window is the Toilet Compartment, the Drivers Cab was on the opposite side of the corridor.  There another cab at the other end.  You’ll notice the power unit has been removed.

The second coach appears to be a UTA vehicle with Sliding Doors, but I’m not sure which one, but it is not from a MED set. There are no horizontal ribs on the lower panels.  
The third vehicle is a rebuilt GNRI Brake 3rd carriage, which was rebuilt by the GNRB to run with the BUT cars.  BUT cars had no steam heating boiler unlike the earlier AEC Railcars for GNRI.  So, a boiler was fitted in the far end of the van section of the coach and the luggage area was moved forward to swallow up at one of two compartments or seating bays.

Finally, I cannot confirm the numbers at the moment.  My books are packed away for when I move house.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1