DCC loco with camera

• 4 weeks later...

The Roco locomotive camera has been available (in different version) in DCC but the availability of it seems to "come & go". It does work very well with the Z21 though & you can download facililies of some european locomotive driving desks to go with it.

I have some Roco camera locos, they connect by wi-FI and you don’t need the Roco z21 to use them. The quality of the image is certainly not for you tube, if you just want to pretend your the driver then there acceptable for that. Personally I was a bit disappointed by them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

I have some Roco camera locos, they connect by wi-FI and you don’t need the Roco z21 to use them. The quality of the image is certainly not for you tube, if you just want to pretend your the driver then there acceptable for that. Personally I was a bit disappointed by them.

That's interesting - I've only seen them demonstrated on either the Z21 or on a smartphone - not on anything with a decent sized screen.

Maybe, the camera itself could be upgraded ?

I'd certainly be in the market for one anyway.

Something to bear in mind, that these locos have quite a power draw on initial track power turn on. They always trip my dcc circuit breakers, this is due to two large capacitors charging. Not such a problem if you can adjust the circuit breakers for inrush current. The loco are actually wi-FI access points and devices connect accordingly.

not sure if the camera could be upgraded, but I wouldn’t chance it. I think the quality of the image is more a bandwidth issue.

i don’t use them that much and have been thinking of stripping out the cameras or selling at some point. 

Edited by Andymsa