RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:58, royaloak said:

Or places they want you to spend money in.

corrected for you..:D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I bought a Toyota Auris Self Charging Hybrid last year, I have been very happy with the performance, but I cannot for the life of me work out how my last car (Hyundai i40 1.6 Diesel) had an Annual road tax of £30 yet this supposidly more "green" car has an annual tax of £135

Jim

There was a wonderful image recently floating around Twitter of an email sent from an Auris owner to Toyota, complaining that his "Self Charging Hybrid" was broken, because it clearly wasn't charging itself, and he had to keep putting petrol in it...

• Funny 1

On 17/09/2019 at 09:32, boxbrownie said:

Just (yet) another company car tax breaker.......

I posted a few pages back about lawyer son being advised by his accountant to get rid of his ageing l.p. gas powered Range Rover and go electric, pay less road tax, and drive to his office without paying congestion charge. 

Some days later we heard  he'd been 'put onto a 2 year old Porsche Pan Americana hybrid with many extras but just needing a couple of  body panel dents attending to'. He collected it yesterday and sent this pic

Porsche_hybrid.png.ba8127b834c0ef8add9176a9e3ea543c.png

he told his mum: 'about the price of a new Focus/Golf', but in answer to my technical questions, texted me this:

330hp petrol engine in front with a 100hp electric module mated to the back, driving through an 8 speed gearbox (so the electric engine also goes through the box). You can use one or the other - or both together to get 440hp. 5.2 secs 0-60 and 170mph. You can plug in and charge or use the engine and braking to do it whilst driving. And, I drove 110 miles at motorway speeds today and got north of 50mpg (although if you drive it like you stole it, you get 25mpg - and scare yersel...!)

I'd had it explained to me to be like an extended 4 door 911. I imagined it a kind of classic Maser quattroportale , but it turns out  to be a rather lumpen brute  which I wouldn't like to have to park such without some useful 'extra' aids.

Can I ask you Lekky buffs - is this rather a dead end technically?

dh

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

I posted a few pages back about lawyer son being advised by his accountant to get rid of his ageing l.p. gas powered Range Rover and go electric, pay less road tax, and drive to his office without paying congestion charge. 

Some days later we heard  he'd been 'put onto a 2 year old Porsche Pan Americana hybrid with many extras but just needing a couple of  body panel dents attending to'. He collected it yesterday and sent this pic

Porsche_hybrid.png.ba8127b834c0ef8add9176a9e3ea543c.png

he told his mum: 'about the price of a new Focus/Golf', but in answer to my technical questions, texted me this:

I'd had it explained to me to be like an extended 4 door 911. I imagined it a kind of classic Maser quattroportale , but it turns out  to be a rather lumpen brute  which I wouldn't like to have to park such without some useful 'extra' aids.

Can I ask you Lekky buffs - is this rather a dead end technically?

dh

It must be as heavy as hell to take 5.2 seconds to do 0-60mph with 440 bhp. My current car is a few tenths quicker with a mere 325 bhp.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

I suspect that like many Acts it can cover a lot of things

The Law Reform (Married Women & Joint Tortfeasors) is a classic 

A trick commonly used to sneak through unpopular laws - want to do something nasty? tack it on as an amendment to the "think of the children act", how could anyone object to that?

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Nick C said:

A trick commonly used to sneak through unpopular laws - want to do something nasty? tack it on as an amendment to the "think of the children act", how could anyone object to that?

"Always dispose of the difficult bit in the title. It does less harm there than in the text". Yes Minister episode 1.

This sounds like the reverse...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2019 at 19:26, johnofwessex said:

I lived in a house with Storage Heaters once.

Blew the Company Fuse one morning when having a shower - with the Tumble Dryer on, & the fuse on the Distribution Transformer blew a few weeks later

When I bought my E.V, the installer of the domestic charging point noted that the "cut-out" (aka: company fuse) rated 60A was woefully inadequate for the installed demand of the property; what with a 10kw electric shower, laundry washing and drying machines, dishwasher, and of course, the many transient-load  appliances of daily life. 

I was advised to contact my local DNO (Distribution Network Operator) whom supply the cabling part of the supply contract to your house. 

They were very accommodating, and quickly arranged (after an exchange of emails and photographs of my installation) to upgrade the cut-out to 100A, all at zero cost to myself.

So, I can shower and charge the car at the same time now; see, multitasking! :mocking_mini:

[PDF]Cut-Out Rating Guidance to EV-HP Installers - MARCH FINAL v2.docx.pdf

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It is interesting that he went on so much about the interior materials being recycled plastic etc, and not a whiff of a nod to the i3 which has been using recycled material inside (and out) since inception, not to mention the factories which run on purely sustainable energy.

I applaud Renault's insistence on keeping the rental/bought battery choice, makes for a very affordable EV with a cheap monthly "lease" effectively, which is what a lot of modern day owners are used to how to buy cars, a good stepping stone between the two. 

17 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

The trouble is though that the cost of the battery lease will buy a lot of diesel..................

Which will diminish as the price differential between EV and ICE powered cars is reduced and eventually eliminated, as predicted by the manufacturers.

Some industry spokespersons are saying that EV's will become cheaper than their ICE counterparts within the next decade.

Also note, that the purchase of that "lot of diesel" will also come with increased costs for maintenance and worn parts (brakes etc).

I initially thought the battery leasing idea was an unattractive idea; a bit of a costly rip-off if you like; but I now agree with Robert Llewellyn that it's a bit of a red herring.

With more and more people opting for personal leasing of their cars, what's the difference if the battery is leased as well?   Answer...None.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

With more and more people opting for personal leasing of their cars, what's the difference if the battery is leased as well?   Answer...None

Nope. The key difference is in the secondhand market. The car leasing schemes go for three or four years, then the next owner typically buys the car outright. With a leased battery the payments continue for the life of the car - and as the value drops off who is going to buy a car that's saddled with a huge monthly payment that's now a much bigger proportion of the car's value?

People keep only thinking about the first owner and the first few years - now of course that's all that the manufacturer is interested in, but to actually make a real difference we need to consider the full lifespan of the vehicle.

Edited by Nick C
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Nope. The key difference is in the secondhand market. The car leasing schemes go for three or four years, then the next owner typically buys the car outright. With a leased battery the payments continue for the life of the car - and as the value drops off who is going to buy a car that's saddled with a huge monthly payment that's now a much bigger proportion of the car's value?

The first owner/renter couldn't care less  about the secondhand market if the lease costs are acceptable to them in the first place.

It's a leasing company problem.

If the leasing company's costs are affected by a lower resale value, or inability to dispose of the vehicle and results in a much higher lease cost, then they either wouldn't do it or they'd be priced out of the market.

p.s. I've no idea if any leasing companies are offering leases which includes the leased battery option. If not, I guess it's a moot point.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

32 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The first owner/renter couldn't care less  about the secondhand market if the lease costs are acceptable to them in the first place.

It's a leasing company problem.

The vehicle lease costs are mostly covering the depreciation. So if the battery lease makes the whole car less desirable at the end, the lease cost increases to cover it.