The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

Ron, if you care to read my posts you will see that I said most new cars are in the 20k to 35k range, not the 55k Telsa range, I have seen nothing from you that shows otherwise and the SMMT link backs it up. There is no point continuing as you seem to be discussing something completely different to me. Goodbye.

Edited by Hobby
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

A model Y appeared at work last week parked next to my model 3. It made mine look like a matchbox car. The Y is huge, much wider, longer and higher. It’s a model 3 on steroids ...........

I first saw one at Fully Charged Live, at Farnborough last September.

A chap brought one of the first delivered in Europe, over from Germany.

(made in Shanghai)

Since the UK launch, a few weeks ago, I've seen a few running around here on the south coast, around the Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester areas.

Last week we went up to Heathrow and saw a few around there and on the motorway.

Mrs Ron and I managed to get up close to a parked example, for a quick look.

They are significantly larger than the Model 3 they're based on.

That's a lot of dosh though.

I'd consider one, even though I'm not sold on the slightly "blobby" looks, but it's not sensible for us to spend that sort of money for the annual mileage we do.

When Berlin start delivering RH drive examples for the UK, I expect they'll be a common sight on UK roads.

Model 3's are everywhere already.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2022 at 11:32, black and decker boy said:

A model Y appeared at work last week parked next to my model 3. It made mine look like a matchbox car. The Y is huge, much wider, longer and higher. It’s a model 3 on steroids do not surprised it’s £10k extra. I was gobsmacked at the difference and that it barely fitted in the parked spot. I still want one if I find £50k hidden down the sofa though 

BTW, the Y performance model (the fun version) is currently priced at £64k but not available for delivery in U.K. until end of year

Are you sure it was a Y not an X, I say because the Model Y is “supposed” to be a Model 3 but higher, not so much longer and wider though, having said that I have not studied any dims just what I’ve read in the press.

edit: just found it’s just two inches longer and two inches wider, so not exactly much (huge) bigger, but it is higher as expected being SUV design at seven inches taller, and more importantly much easier for ingress/egress.

Edited by boxbrownie

15 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Are you sure it was a Y not an X, I say because the Model Y is “supposed” to be a Model 3 but higher, not so much longer and wider though, having said that I have not studied any dims just what I’ve read in the press.

edit: just found it’s just two inches longer and two inches wider, so not exactly much (huge) bigger, but it is higher as expected being SUV design at seven inches taller, and more importantly much easier for ingress/egress.

Yes, absolutely a Y and side by side looks huge in comparison to the 3 though I guess an X3 probably looks huge compared to a 3 series in the same way but doesn’t have an identical ‘face’

• RMweb Premium
Just now, black and decker boy said:

Yes, absolutely a Y and side by side looks huge in comparison to the 3 though I guess an X3 probably looks huge compared to a 3 series in the same way but doesn’t have an identical ‘face’

The height would be the most stand out difference, and make it look that much bigger but as it’s just a few inches wider and longer that’s close enough for me to be “the right size” but oh dear that list price has risen….definitely a “huge” amount 😄

19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Are you sure it was a Y not an X, I say because the Model Y is “supposed” to be a Model 3 but higher, not so much longer and wider though.......

As I posted yesterday, I've seen quite a few "new plate" Model Y's running around over the last few weeks.

Despite the small increase in dimensions on paper, it's surprising how large they look in the flesh, compared to a Model 3, although not so much from some angles.

I've also just returned from 6 days in the US and I've seen both parked side by side in our hotel car park.

The X is much bigger still and less curved and blobby to the rear of the middle of the car.

They haven't been importing those into the UK for at least 18 months, so it's unlikely to see one in the UK with the new "green stripe" number plate, whereas most Model Y's will have the new plate.

Of course if you a nerd like me, you couldn't mistake the Y for an X or v.v.

tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

model-Y-vs-model-3.jpeg.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1

It's just over 2 weeks before this year's Fully Charged Live event takes place at Farnborough airport.

April 29th, 30th ans May 1st.

They promise it'll be a bigger event than last September's at the same venue.

The event covers renewable energy, home heating, solar, ground and air sourced heat pumps, electricity supply companies, electric bikes & scooters, plus what many regard the main event, electric cars, vans, motorbikes and scooters.

More car manufacturers will be represented than last summer and there should be plenty of different EV's to see, with now over 50 different models now available in the UK.

There will also be UK debuts for cars like the...

ORA Cat    (a new Chinese brand launching in Europe)

Genesis GV60   (Genesis are a "premium" brand offshoot of Hyundai & Kia, recently launched in the UK)

VW ID Buzz   (production models)

Kia e-Niro   (the all-new 2022 model that's about to be launched)

Plus the production version of the new Nissan Ariya  (last year they had a fully finished pre-production example).

At last September's event, I found the classic car EV conversions section, personally interesting, with what must have been maybe 30 odd different classic EV's, ranging from VW Beetle's to E-Types and Ferrari's.

Tickets can be found here......      https://www.tickettailor.com/events/fullychargedshowltd/616023

Details.........   https://fullycharged.live

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Smart have launched their new EV city car.

It's quite a bit bigger than their older, tiny Smart Car models, particularly on the inside.

It's also better equipped and fitted out to a much higher standard than old Smart cars.

A completely different animal it seems.

This is a joint project between Daimler (Mercedes) and China's Geely (owners of several brands such as Volvo & Polestar) and appears to provide both Mercedes and Volvo, with an associated budget range.

All Smart cars, from this model onwards, will now be EV's.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/smart/357735/new-smart-1-suv-unveiled-city-car-brand-enters-new-era-pictures

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/smart/357322/new-smart-1-suv-unveiled-city-car-brand-enters-new-era

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-19.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-23.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-21.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-25.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-8.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-24.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-9.jpg

21 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I'd rather be in the RR they used for comparisons in the event of a collision.

But perhaps we are all suffering from BIG car obsession?

The following video is not recommended viewing for Quashqi Owners!

Big Cars

From RRR’s post above Smart look to have it for sure! 😀

idd

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, idd15 said:

But perhaps we are all suffering from BIG car obsession?

The following video is not recommended viewing for Quashqi Owners!

Big Cars

From RRR’s post above Smart look to have it for sure! 😀

idd

Being in a RR during a head on collision with a small car that pulled out of a side street & surveying the damage - RR, cracked front number plate & scuffed bumper, small car, every single panel in front of the A pillars trashed & the doors diffecult to open I'll stick with my "BIG obsession" thanks.

Fortunatly, no injuries suffered.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

As I posted yesterday, I've seen quite a few "new plate" Model Y's running around over the last few weeks.

Despite the small increase in dimensions on paper, it's surprising how large they look in the flesh, compared to a Model 3, although not so much from some angles.

I've also just returned from 6 days in the US and I've seen both parked side by side in our hotel car park.

The X is much bigger still and less curved and blobby to the rear of the middle of the car.

They haven't been importing those into the UK for at least 18 months, so it's unlikely to see one in the UK with the new "green stripe" number plate, whereas most Model Y's will have the new plate.

Of course if you a nerd like me, you couldn't mistake the Y for an X or v.v.

tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

model-Y-vs-model-3.jpeg.

Yes as I stated the actual dimensional footprint is small compared to Y to Model X for example, and don’t rely on the green stripe as a lot of EV dealer sales don’t bother slapping one of those in automatically, although maybe Tesla do?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Smart have launched their new EV city car.

It's quite a bit bigger than their older, tiny Smart Car models, particularly on the inside.

It's also better equipped and fitted out to a much higher standard than old Smart cars.

A completely different animal it seems.

This is a joint project between Daimler (Mercedes) and China's Geely (owners of several brands such as Volvo & Polestar) and appears to provide both Mercedes and Volvo, with an associated budget range.

All Smart cars, from this model onwards, will now be EV's.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/smart/357735/new-smart-1-suv-unveiled-city-car-brand-enters-new-era-pictures

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/smart/357322/new-smart-1-suv-unveiled-city-car-brand-enters-new-era

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-19.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-23.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-21.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-25.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-8.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-24.jpg

Smart%201%20SUV%202022-9.jpg

They actually look quite (sorry) smart……..but the folks around here won’t like them, for the likes of District Nurses, Carers etc the original Smart car is de rigueur for the tiny lanes and poor parking when visiting clients (called customers now apparently).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Being in a RR during a head on collision with a small car that pulled out of a side street & surveying the damage - RR, cracked front number plate & scuffed bumper, small car, every single panel in front of the A pillars trashed & the doors diffecult to open I'll stick with my "BIG obsession" thanks.

Fortunatly, no injuries suffered.

And that should prove to you just how good small cars are nowadays at crash worthiness 😀

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was given a provisional delivery date for my Leaf today. It's the 15th of August, but might be before or after that. Salesman at the dealer says Nissan deliveries are all over the place and pointed out two freshly delivered Jukes in their yard that arrived this morning but weren't due until June. Fingers crossed my car will fall into the sooner category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

And that should prove to you just how good small cars are nowadays at crash worthiness 😀

Indeed & I agree, cars can be replace, people cannit.

However, the RR drove off and required a new number plate & a rattle can touch up, the small car was written off

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Fans of large 50's Americana look away now..

OK it's not against a small car but it's what I have.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Indeed & I agree, cars can be replace, people cannit.

However, the RR drove off and required a new number plate & a rattle can touch up, the small car was written off

Priorities, 30 years early and it would have required the coroner’s wagon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Fans of large 50's Americana look away now..

OK it's not against a small car but it's what I have.

I spent most of my working life filming, then videoing crash tests (usually at 500fps) and some of the things I saw would make you walk everywhere.

We had a request from a lesser known branch of the armed forces in the Hereford area to perform a “hard landing” ( or what civvies would call a f**king crash!) with a Lynx helicopter floorpan and seating for eight fully kitted personnel (anthropomorphic dummies in fact) with bells and whistles, the seating, back to back four each side was bolted to the pan with eight 10mm bolts, we straight away told them it would fail miserably as the weight was ridiculously to much for even the seating let alone the poor bolts….anyway apparently some boffins had been working it all out, we use what is called a Hyge sled which fires the vehicle/helicopter away from standing extremely fast to represent a sudden stop. Anyhooo needless to say the rig fired and the sled disappeared into the unlit area taking the helicopter floorpan with it and left the said dummies sitting on the track, kinda like the magician pulling the tablecloth away……we never saw them again, they did leave us with a load of lead though (ballast for ammo and kit) and I still have some I use to this day for truck/wagon weights.

Some fun times were had occasionally, OK most of the time really. 😄

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Indeed, it does show how crash protection has improved, but don't forget to take into account the metal in the Bel Air is around 50 years old & not as strong as it once was.

You mean that cloud of brown dust isn’t magic dust? 😄

• Funny 1

Gridserve have been as good as their word and have upgraded the electric highway.

Gridserve news

Very good chargers. Used one last week during a 10 min stop in the Leaf and it delivered 10% with the battery already at 62%. They really can deliver the amps. They are almost Tesla like in use as well, plug in and swipe card and your charging. No faffing with an app, bliss!

They’re also installing additional chargers at Hartshead Moor over by the existing superchargers which is good to see.

idd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1