Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

You’re assuming everyone bought their EV because it was cheaper to run.

I'm doing no such thing.  I'm working out the prices for me and my next car and whether I need to re-think.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MPR said:

This video gives a better idea of what a structural battery pack looks like - the batteries remain in the floor, but are in a much stiffer structure. The way the body is built is very different to what has gone before and is itself radically stiffer and simpler.

Thanks for that, made me feel like being back at work filming in teardown…….and just how much I miss it.😁

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I'm doing no such thing.  I'm working out the prices for me and my next car and whether I need to re-think.

So are your car purchases based just on running costs?

edit:  I ask because it seems (maybe because most threads about cost seem to be about EVs) where as I have always just bought cars because “that’s the car I wanted”…..probably because it wasn’t needed for a work vehicle or specific purpose I guess.

Just like us buying the i3 wasn’t anything to do with running costs, but the first time we saw one and test drove at launch back in 2013 we really felt we wanted one for the pleasure of the driving experience and the design of the vehicle (actually the design both engineering and aesthetic was more down to me), Mrs BB just loves it as a car.  

Made it an easy purchase 😆

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

edit:  I ask because it seems (maybe because most threads about cost seem to be about EVs) where as I have always just bought cars because “that’s the car I wanted”…..probably because it wasn’t needed for a work vehicle or specific purpose I guess.

It's more along those lines.  If I was only interested in running costs per se I wouldn't be buying Kugas!  If you want the fuller explanation grab a coffee/tea as it might get long.

In the 2000's we were lucky enough to have several holidays in the USA and my wife loved SUV's and being at a higher seating level, plus of course the cost of gas was immaterial.  In 2014 we moved down here to west Wales and our faithful 06-plate Mondeo was just over 100k miles but had to do for 12-18 months whilst we got sorted.

In 2015 we were seriously looking at Kugas at the time (new/nearly new).  Alas my wife took ill and I lost her in 2018, and the Mondeo was soldiering on and on and on and on.  FF to 2021 and the car now had 182k miles on the clock. I was getting 40mpg which I felt was pretty decent for a 1.8L petrol car of that vintage.  She still had original clutch, silencer and shocks.  By 182k miles there was always something about to need replacement though I have to say I got my value out of everything.

Back in 2015 Ford finance on Kugas (and IIRC Fiestas) wasn't great as they were best sellers.  You always know with new cars when they say 'great finance on selected cars' they mean 'these are the ones we can't shift'.  In 2021 Ford were offerring 0pct finance over 3 years on everything (IIRC) and the long-suffering Mondeo was now 15+ years old so I bit the bullet.

Money on deposit was earning zilch interest so if my company pension and state pension kept up with inflation the 0pct finance was in a way better than putting the same money in the bank.  (My company pension is limited to 5pct rise pa which makes the current/impending situation much different).  Plus of course the Kuga was the 'car we always promised ourselves'.

My dad used to have one of the Z cars type Zephyr 6's which was 2.5L and almost impossible to get 30mpg.  Needless to say I was stunned and delighted to get 56mpg out of my 2.5L MHEV.  I was thinking along the lines of keeping her for 3 years then get another if they were still in production and so on up to 2030, assuming the car or equivalent was in production.  ie by the time we're not allowed to buy petrol I'd have one of the newest on the road which would probably see me out.  I live in west Wales which is hilly, has few chargers (which are often out of action) and even today cost more than petrol in terms of pence per mile, so there's no way I'd buy a full EV any time soon.  With my curent car I can get 650+ miles from a 10min charge at the pump.

I ordered the current car in Feb21 when there were murmurs starting about chip shortages in Japan and US but not Europe at the time.  I quite expected a 4 month wait for new build but in the event it was 5.5 months and shortages were taking hold big time in Europe.  In fact I was told my Kuga was the last one the dealership would deliver in 2021 (that was late July - no idea if they actually got any more).

Anyway, having had my MHEV for about 10 months and with delays on many brands of a year I decided to put my name down sooner rather than later for the next one. The only question was which option?  When I ordered in Feb21 I was resolutely against full EV (though there's not one for the Kuga anyway) and really didn't understand enough about PHEV's and didn't know anyone who had them.  Everyone I knew had ICE or EV, nothing in between, hence my ordering MHEV.

You'll see from my calculations in my earlier long entry that's where running costs enter the equation big time.  ie which version of Kuga suits me best.  No doubt there are other cars that deliver cheaper cost per mile but that wasn't the only consideration to me.  I am going with what I know with some hopeful expectation of exceeding what I have, but in the light of new pricing have to be careful about how/when I go about charging.

Edit: forgot to say...  The Mondeo was a faithful servant and until 2021 the best car I had.  The Kuga MHEV put the pleasure back in driving to the extent that in the early days I was very happy just to pop out for some milk (8 miles r/t) without thinking about petrol costs.  Just like my 1st new Sierra in 1985!

Edited by Metr0Land

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

That's my final decider. I put together a list of suitable cars from the motability list, list the advance payments (none of the cars we need have nil APs!) and then look at fuel costs (electric, diesel or petrol) and whichever is cheapest when adding fuel and AP together gets chosen! 

• RMweb Premium

Well first of all, thanks for buying Fords 😄

In your position I might well have just kept the first Kuga, as obviously driving a new car isn’t the attraction for you.

Sorry to hear of your wife, we had a “squeaky one” a few years ago but thankfully all good now, but it makes you think hard about priorities.

7 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Great value 1hr quick charging today at Lidl Hexham…28p per kWh.

Of course in the good old days it used to be free. So long as you didn’t go inside and buy a nail gun or something.

…there are free 7kWh chargers at some supermarkets (Tesco etc) but they’re not suitable for quick recharging. This was the best priced public 40-50 kWh installation (Podpoint) that I’ve found so far and compares very well with 66p per kWh (Osprey) in Skipton.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

…there are free 7kWh chargers at some supermarkets (Tesco etc) but they’re not suitable for quick recharging.

The bad thing about free rapids at Lidl was you would often find an iPace parked on there for hours charging to 100%

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30801 said:

The bad thing about free rapids at Lidl was you would often find an iPace parked on there for hours charging to 100%

The one at Maldon we needed to use on a couple of nights visiting relatives was always blocked by a Zoe all night!

9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

The one at Maldon we needed to use on a couple of nights visiting relatives was always blocked by a Zoe all night!

The best thing about a car with Chademo is you can e-stop the charger and take the plug. With CCS the car keeps hold of it.

The Tesla Model Y is currently the best-selling EV in Europe. 

From the start of the year to the end of June 2022, the firm sold 44,468 Model Ys across the continent, according to data from analytics firm Jato Dynamics.

That’s around double the number of Volkswagen ID 4 cars (22,570) sold in the same period.

In the same 6 month period, the Tesla Model 3 also sold 39,897 units across Europe.

Up to recently, all Model 3's and Y's supplied to Europe, have been built in Tesla’s Shanghai Giga factory.

More recently, the Model Y has started rolling off the new production line at their gigantic new German plant near Berlin, which will eventually have the capacity to churn out up to 500,000 vehicles per year..

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Damn, never knew that……next time🥵

Chademo was designed so that when a car had finished charging the unit would release the plug and the next person could use it.

In practice a few people have a complete meltdown at the prospect of someone unplugging their car.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2022 at 16:50, BR traction instructor said:

Great value 1hr quick charging today at Lidl Hexham…28p per kWh. Charging 19% to 80% (60 miles to 215 miles range) cost £9.90.

BeRTIe

Out of interest does that include 20pct VAT as it's 'business' rather than 5pct VAT on home charging?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 30801 said:

Chademo was designed so that when a car had finished charging the unit would release the plug and the next person could use it.

In practice a few people have a complete meltdown at the prospect of someone unplugging their car.

That assumes there is enough room around the charger to get your car near it.

Maybe they should have designed it so it releases the parking brake at the same time 😁

• Funny 2

How widespread is the issue of not getting/queuing for an available 40/50 + kWh rapid charger just now…just trying to get on a handle on whether our one time experience up here in northern Cumbria/Scottish borders is comparable with more densely populated areas further south?

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

14 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

How widespread is the issue of not getting/queuing for an available 40/50 + kWh rapid charger just now…just trying to get on a handle on whether our one time experience up here in northern Cumbria/Scottish borders is comparable with more densely populated areas further south?

Personally the only bother I've had is at Donnington on the M1. It was recently upgraded to two Griridserve units which should be able to charge four cars at once. However supply comtraints mean they can only do two. Also it's one of those sites that serve both North and Southbound traffic.

I had to wait for two cars to charge before I could get on.

Look through the comments on Zap-Map for places you might stop to pick up on these issues.

Then you have new hubs like the one at Rugby where your only problem is picking which charger you want to use.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

BeRTIe

It depends on where you are and what time your there tbh, the last two journeys we did up to Worcester we use the A38/M5 and both times was at peak times at Exeter services which has had a new charger hub installed with sixteen chargers, and once they were all occupied and the next time we found just one free, it’s a main holiday route in the Summer!

We know of several other chargers on that route which are always free as they are not actually on the main road.

On 29/08/2022 at 09:52, BR traction instructor said:

BeRTIe

Do the cars not provide information about which charging points are available?

My only experience of an EV is a friend's Tesla & that not only shows where the charging points are, but how many are in service & even if they are being used. The sat nav even includes charging stops when it plots routes.

This should not be unique to Tesla because the technology to provide this has been available for some time now.

• RMweb Gold

Ouch. That means that publicly anything other than charging at 7kW as a full member is now more expensive per mile than fuel for my diesel Skoda…

(assuming the EV does 4 miles per kWH, and my Skoda does 60 mpg (which it actually does) at £8 per gallon)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1