Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I genuinely think we are past that with most big companies, the public perception of their environmental credentials are much more important now than ever before.

We're also getting to the point with at least some of the minerals, that it's cheaper to recycle than to mine new.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I genuinely think we are past that with most big companies, the public perception of their environmental credentials are much more important now than ever before.

Only if they are visible. If they are somewhere in the third world. Then anything goes 😥

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Only if they are visible. If they are somewhere in the third world. Then anything goes 😥

I am not so sure even that is true of the largest manufacturers, thankfully nowadays they value their reputations much more than in past years.

Of course there will always be less scrupulous companies sourcing materials which have been mined/produced using poor standards, but it is getting easier to accurately identify material source with scientific analysis.

It’s not the companies we need to question, it’s the governments of the countries concerned who turn a blind eye to the rape of their country for materials and deliberate ignorance of the treatment of the workers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Actually I never considered it before, but it is the weight of the cables that make it difficult for me to manoeuvre between car and charger, I have no balance as such and use my stick in hand to give my brain the “datum” so I don’t fall over, when man handling heavy cables I have to either lean against the car or try and one handed get the cable plugged in.

That is an excellent campaign and genuinely needed as EVs become more mainstream.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Actually I never considered it before, but it is the weight of the cables that make it difficult for me to manoeuvre between car and charger

They're unlikely to get any lighter as more chargers supply 350kW via watercooled cables.

At least as a CCS user you never had the delight of the early lever-action Chademo connectors which required at least three hands to operate successfully.

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Actually I never considered it before, but it is the weight of the cables that make it difficult for me to manoeuvre between car and charger, I have no balance as such and use my stick in hand to give my brain the “datum” so I don’t fall over, when man handling heavy cables I have to either lean against the car or try and one handed get the cable plugged in.

That is an excellent campaign and genuinely needed as EVs become more mainstream.

See this post I made earlier about a disabled guy with an EV, sounds like you will sympathise!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Actually I never considered it before, but it is the weight of the cables that make it difficult for me to manoeuvre between car and charger,

Don't know if this is in any of the stuff linked earlier but there are now British Standards covering the force required to lift cables etc. Where lightweight cables or some mechanical assistance can't be provided the standards say staff need to be on hand to assist. Not sure how manned charge points will fly outside of a large hub...

https://www.drivingelectric.com/charging/41718/accessibility-standard-for-public-electric-car-chargers-published

6 hours ago, Grovenor said:

BMW first mooted the possibility of moving some or all mini production from the UK to Eastern Europe or China, even before the B**** referendum.

They've been looking to reduce costs for some time, even though the mini range has been increasingly successful in recent years.

If the electric Mini batteries are made in China, it might make logistical and financial sense to build the whole car there.

As David says, "Such is business".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

If the electric Mini batteries are made in China, it might make logistical and financial sense to build the whole car there.

The UK battery gigafactory is starting to look unlikely… 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

BMW first mooted the possibility of moving some or all mini production from the UK to Eastern Europe or China, even before the B**** referendum.

They've been looking to reduce costs for some time, even though the mini range has been increasingly successful in recent years.

As David says, "Such is business".

I think we are lucky there is still going to be a plant in this country making versions of the Mini, I remember when Ford decided to build a plant in Russia decades ago, we said Henry would be turning in his grave…..now he is laughing at his Grandson.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, idd15 said:

Well it’s certainly different with some interesting ideas and technologies…

Citroen Oli Concept

Idd

I'm not sure that the very un-aerodynamic vertical windscreen is very good on energy consumption on faster runs. Lightweight construction ideas are essential for EVs though, got to get that weight down and it's interesting what they did with the seats. I like the idea of a car just being a car without so many screens about, putting the focus back on ergonomically supporting the driver rather than taking too much of that control away (as per Tesla).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I'm not sure that the very un-aerodynamic vertical windscreen is very good on energy consumption on faster runs. Lightweight construction ideas are essential for EVs though, got to get that weight down and it's interesting what they did with the seats. I like the idea of a car just being a car without so many screens about, putting the focus back on ergonomically supporting the driver rather than taking too much of that control away (as per Tesla).

The bonnet has an aero foil designed to guide air over the screen area, so not as disastrous as it appears apparently.

• Informative/Useful 1

I was interested in the tyres with a 500,000 km (?) useful working life, especially as we’ve discussed the problems around recycling them recently. IF , and it is I think a big IF, these go into production they’ll certainly change the tyre manufacturing business model.

Cheers

idd

22 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I'm not sure that the very un-aerodynamic vertical windscreen is very good on energy consumption on faster runs.

It'll be worth it to see something other than dashboard reflections.

Edited by 30801

A Silloth to Whitby coast to coast budget EV trip (VW ID3, 260 mile range) today. Charging to 100% on the home charger at 14p per kWh ready for the scenic route via Alston, Barnard Castle, Reeth & Richmond got us to Northallerton Lidl with approx 100 miles range remaining but an absence of rapid chargers in Whitby made it sensible to charge to 100% at Lidl (40p per kWh) ready for the return leg from Whitby tomorrow via Haworth…receipt for the very reasonable Lidl charge below…

BeRTIe

69F7E77B-B690-46BE-BB05-9DC946EF11D2.png

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1