Gas Works

Windjabbers

One ton of gas coal burnt gives 0.7T coke (that amount surprised me too),

Is the surprise that you get that much? The coal is not being burned to ash like in an open fire, it's being carbonised. It's heated to high temperature in an air tight oven, in the absence of oxygen so cannot burn, and all the volatiles are driven off, leaving behind just the carbon.

...In fact, being a chemist by profession, I would like to know more about how chemical traffic was handled by rail, but there doesn't seem a lot of information out there.

I am not of pensionable age yet, but well remember the carboys in their canvas wrapped thick straw padding inside an iron 'basket' on station platforms; and being told by my father on no account to touch or even approach such things. That was the liquids, dry chemicals went in boxes. Before standardised labelling that we so know and love today it was all rather 'anonymous', based on what I have seen. The packing of the carboys looks somewhat OTT now, but since a steam era 'rough shunt' could easily displace the end sheeting of an open wagon, very necessary, I believe there was purpose made chocking for carboys too. All notifiable chemicals had to go in a lock up, so usually a guard's brake van for small quantities. I imagine much of this trade moved onto the roads relatively early.

• 5 years later...

Been talking about gas works today and just had an interesting read over this old topic! I think the jist is that most small gas works would recieve coal in but that there would be very little outward traffic at all by rail.

See an interest it photo for all you industrial fans here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glevumblues/6492962537/in/photolist-aTL8xX

Archived