The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Jimmy Greaves

EddieB

I'm surprised that there has been no marking of the passing of Jimmy Greaves yesterday.  One of the all-time greatest goal scorers our national sport has produced, his record speaks for itself - six times the leading scorer in the Football League First Division, fourth highest (44 goals in just 57 appearances) for England.  Injured during England's 1966 World Cup campaign, the immediate success of Geoff Hurst effectively ended Greaves' international career.

A friend's dad (who trialled at Chelsea) once played a youth match against a team with a young Jimmy Greaves.  His team lost 15-0 - with Greaves scoring all fifteen: "He was just so quick".

RIP Woodford Town's finest.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Watched a couple of the video clips of his best goals, and it reminded me of how appalling the pitches were at that time. Many just pure mud, especially in the goal mouth area. I wonder how Greaves would have fared in the Premier League today, with proper grass pitches throughout the whole season!

• Agree 4