Single use plastics

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Seriously though, what will happen about the world's reliance on plastics, when oil production is significantly reduced, as we transition to more sustainable sources of power?

Prices will go up - that’s all

Oil will still be needed in large quantities for a whole host of things even after we have finished burning it in internal combustion engines so the likes of Hornby, Peco, etc will still be able to get hold of it.

• Agree 1

On 23/09/2021 at 00:03, Michael Hodgson said:

I think that's the very remotest of chances.

Some plastics can be recycled, some can't.  I don't think they've devised a way of telling one sort of plastic from another, and householders certainly can't be expected to know. The plastics that the refuse disposal operative takes away are going to get mixed together in the dustcart with cardboard, tin cans, glass bottles and of course a load on non-recyclables chucked in the wrong bin.  Some materials can be removed by machinery or human processing, but I don't see them extracting small plastic sprues  from the rest of the waste, and I would be very surprised if it doesn't end up in landfill.

Not always mixed together.

Recycling plants are very good at separating the various dry recycleables.

On 24/09/2021 at 16:22, Georgeconna said:

I queried this some time back and this was the reply below. Still prefer cardboard to the plastic, Some manufacturing are getting worse it seems with big plastic bubbles with small product rattling around inside . At the time my Peco Packing had no recycling marks on the plastic.

Dear George,

Thank you for your recent email to the Railway Modeller. My colleagues there thought that I might be better placed to respond, as they are not involved in the production and distribution of PECO products.

We appreciate that at first glance you might wonder why we would choose to use plastic packaging but what is important to be aware of is that this packaging is produced from recycled material, and is fully recyclable from the kerbside. It is the same PET material that is used for plastic bottles and is produced here in the UK from UK-sourced recycled plastic bottles.

As we all know, it is the responsibility of the end user to ensure that as much waste material as possible is recycled, so as long as these PECO packs are placed in your kerbside recycling, or taking to your local recycling centre, them it will continue to be reused. It would be irresponsible to place these items in your landfill waste collection bins. Our previous packaging, the mixture of card and plastic, was not so easily recycled. Unless you physically removed the plastic windows from the boxes they would be put into landfill. Now that there is a separate card insert in the new plastic pouches and boxes these can be more easily separated and disposed of correctly.

Until a suitable alternative, durable packaging material can be sourced for a realistic cost we will continue to use these recycled plastic boxes and pouches as we feel that they are best available. They protect our products very well, and allow effective and attractive displays in our retailers’ shops, and can be responsibly disposed of for recycling after use. We go to great pains to reduce our carbon footprint wherever possible, and switching to paper envelopes for sending copies of the Railway Modeller is just one example.

Many thanks for raising your concerns and I hope that my reply will go some way to explaining what we are doing.

Kind regards,

Steve Haynes
Sales Manager
Pritchard Patent Product Co. Ltd

I see they still have that childish habit of their name all in uppercase.