Amazing what you can make from a box of "Spares and Repairs" from Ebay.

cypherman

Hi all,

I spent £60.00 on 2 boxes of spares and repairs items from Ebay. From these 2 boxes I made this almost mint Triang 2mt complete with working Syncrosmoke unit. I also got complete fully working B12, Princess, 2P and M7 chassis. Plus 2 x X03 and 1 x X04 motor working motors. The 2P chassis has a full set of Romford wheels. A spare 2mt body and chassis(Missing pony/bogie trucks and valve gear. A Britannia chassis A mixed bag of 20 of what look like spare Romford driving wheels. As I said an amazing bargain at £60.00 and I think I got about £150 - 200 worth of stuff. Ok virtually everything was quite dirty and needed cleaning and servicing, But that's part of the fun.

DSC_1110.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

DSC_1125.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

Nicely done….

Strictly speaking, the double lined 3MT tank loco body is too early for the synchrosmoke units…

Tri-ang Railways had gone to single lining, I think before 1964…

;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo

4 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Nicely done….

Strictly speaking, the double lined 3MT tank loco body is too early for the synchrosmoke units…

Tri-ang Railways had gone to single lining, I think before 1964…

;)

Hi Ruffnut,

That is the spare body I mentioned. But that is in a very play worn condition cosmetically. But is still complete with no damage otherwise.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Well another loco has come out of my boxes of spares from Ebay, Plus a few bits I already had. A nice mid 80's I think B12. I admit that I had to go and buy the loco body. But I had the tender and the drawbar plus the pick ups in stock. The chassis came with a working motor but had an issue with quartering that was fixed quite easily. I now have  very nice looking and running B12 for my stable. Now both these engines posted here have basically come from 2 boxes of spares and repairs from Ebay plus mainly what I already had in stock and it is not over yet. I still have these working chassis. An 0-4-4 M7 chassis(More about what may be happening to this chassis in a separate thread). A Princess chassis, 4-4-0 L1/2P chassis and a Britannia chassis to play with. Plus some other bits and pieces that came in the boxes

DSC_1121.JPG

DSC_1122.JPG

DSC_1123.JPG

DSC_1124.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4

Yes, that loco body is a China made one, as is the tender. The metal buffers and lining style are the give aways on the tender. ;)

Does the tender still have the sound box, Chuff Chuff noise device? :)

The chassis is, though, the 1970s - 1980s type. 

17 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Yes, that loco body is a China made one, as is the tender. The metal buffers and lining style are the give aways on the tender. ;)

Does the tender still have the sound box, Chuff Chuff noise device? :)

The chassis is, though, the 1970s - 1980s type. 

Hi Ruffnut,

Yes it still has the chuff chuff box..... :)

I did not realise that this model was as new as it is. Though it was introduce much earlier. Ah well it is still a nice one. I do have the version of this that was painted in Caladonian blue some where.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, russell price said:

I have a tatty damaged but repairable L1 body and Tender if any use for your chassis. I’ve just put a really nice body on my one so it is rather tidy now. 

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the offer but I have plans for that chassis that involve a GWR 4-4-0 county body

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Nice job, the 2-6-2 valve gear is pretty much unobtainable as a single spare these days ;)

Hi Redgate,

I think I may have one set left. Including the cylinders. But it may also be for the Princess as they both look almost identical. Not checked them. I believe it is always handy to have at least one set for spares.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Redgate,

I think I may have one set left. Including the cylinders. But it may also be for the Princess as they both look almost identical. Not checked them. I believe it is always handy to have at least one set for spares.

They are different as I had to modify a set of princess ones for my Dublo bodied triang chassis 2-6-4 ;) 

2-6-2 are part number x.79/80 whereas the princess ones are x.54/55, there was a later version that were fluted - x.244/5. The cylinder blocks and motion brackets were the same on both locos though.

The GWR 4-4-0 County coupled wheelbase was only 8 ft. 6 in.* (I am not sure the Hornby model reflects this 100% though) whereas the L1 was 10 foot, so some modifications will be necessary.

* This is presumably why, associated with outside cylinders, the prototype was allegedly  given to tail wagging. It was designed to annoy the LNWR though, so maybe it was intentional - no six coupled engines, I will make you regret that!

The Tri-ang 2-6-2T and Princess have different wheelbases (the former is too long and the latter too short) so it follows different valve gear is required. I would have thought it would have been cheaper to use the Princess chassis (with minor modification) for the 2-6-2T or model the LMS version which has the longer wheelbase (8 ft. + 8ft. 6in. the same as the Jinty, though Triang made it 7 ft 9in. + 8ft. 3in. for some strange reason.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2021 at 14:15, cypherman said:

Hi Ruffnut,

I did not realise that this model was as new as it is. Though it was introduce much earlier. Ah well it is still a nice one. I do have the version of this that was painted in Caladonian blue some where.

The B12 was introduced in 1962 and made in various liveries until 1979. When Hornby started to investigate manufacture in the far east in the early 1990s the mould was dug out and sent over, reappearing with separate wire handrails and vastly improved decoration.

• Agree 2

On 14/10/2021 at 16:48, RedgateModels said:

They are different as I had to modify a set of princess ones for my Dublo bodied triang chassis 2-6-4 ;) 

2-6-2 are part number x.79/80 whereas the princess ones are x.54/55, there was a later version that were fluted - x.244/5. The cylinder blocks and motion brackets were the same on both locos though.

That is only true for the earliest R.59 2-6-2 tank locos.

Later, from around 1961, with the introduction of the Seuthe type smoke units, the chassis was retooled to take a unique cylinder block, with a hole to clear the smoke unit mounting socket. This hole weakens the moulding, which can break easily around this hole. A different motion bracket was also used, a sort of T shaped bracket.

When the R.59 chassis was again modified, around 1969 (I seem to recall) to take the small Synchrosmoke unit, unfortunately the cylinder moulding wasn’t modified to do away with the hole, even though it wasn’t needed for SS chassis. And so the weakened moulding was still used…

On 14/10/2021 at 14:15, cypherman said:

Hi Ruffnut,

I loved the BR Express Blue liveried B12. :wub:

It was a Train Set only model.

I am pretty sure that we sold ours though, as the price was right, and it is actually a fictional use of the livery, as were the non corridor Clerestory coaches in Carmine Red and Cream, corridor coach livery in that set.
We do still have a Break coach though, as it goes pretty well with the Railway Children Set, which is lacking a brake coach as supplied…

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo

I picked up a blue B12 from Ally Pally one year, sold as seen unboxed and non-working. When I got it home, I found a stripped gearwheel - which I had in stock. So a bargain buy for £5 new (returned stock). As a GE fan, I've always liked the B12, though I certainly know of its errors to scale. I treat as a 'preserved' loco for occasional use, with a white roof it is a 'Stratford special'. I was surprised to see the improvements made with wire handrails, decent mor & wheels, and a good paint job.

• Like 2

Yes, there does seem to be a problem with the gear wheels stripping. Probably the type of plastic isn’t up to the loading?

I’ve had to replace one or two. Older, Margate gear wheels seem to be made of better plastic. The China made B12 of course uses a different gearing from the old X.04 or New Type X.03. I think it is the same as the later “Jinty” type chassis, with the Type 7 (I think) motor. SSPP type.

• Like 1