Version 1 of the Mimic Panel.

noiseboy72

I thought it was finally time to build the switch control panel for my layout - Hopwood Parkway. Attached is a low res jpeg.

A bit of background behind it...

The points are all driven from MERG decoders and a mimic encoder. This allows me to use single pole double throw switches to set routes and also to upgrade to computer control in the future.

Signals are all 2 aspect (This is London Underground) and are all fully or semi automatic using track occupancy detectors and bistable circuits. Simple push buttons set the signals and then they clear back to danger once passed. Interlocking protects the junctions, using 4 pole relays.

The black circles on the panel indicate where the point switches will go. The push buttons for the signals will go along the bottom, with green LEDs to indicate signals set.

I want this to be similar to a signal diagram, but still easy to read and use.

This will be printed out on thick car & laminated, before being mounted onto a plastic case.

Any comments to improve appreciated !

post-7023-127636982131_thumb.jpg

There seem to be two points numbered 7 and neither of them has a point switch? Whilst one of them is trailing only and could just be trailed through, the other for what I assume to be the 'Up siding' would need to be operated. Also the sidings (up siding and hopwood yard)need trap points, never omitted on LUL.

I would expect a scissors rather than a double slip at the terminus but maybe you are short of space. The symbol used for the double slip however is confusing as it does not show the 'normal' position like all the other points and hence it is not clear what effect the switches would have.

I am rather puzzled by your signal PR and the associated note. LUL does not allow reverse running and there does not seem to be any need to shunt onto the down main. I would allow routes from signals 7 and 8 only to the up siding, up main and to the yard.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't signal 6 be to the left of points Z? It will need a route indicator too if both platforms are used for arrivals (theatre type?). Would LUL use subsidiaries with stencils on signals 7 & 8 for routes to the up siding and yard, rather than feathers?

Thanks for the comments.

A modified version of the panel is attached.

The PR is a permanent Red aspect (That would have an associated trip cock on the prototype) to prevent trains that should be shunting into the yard from de-railing on the trailing point (8). I have built this point with fixed blades to allow running through it in either direction out of traffic hours by service stock only.

Point 7 & 8 are now correctly labeled. Catch points are not fitted due to lack of space. The same is true of the double slip. I did have a scissors to fit, but could not fit a 3 car train into the station so had to settle for the double slip. This will be disguised in a tunnel.

I have changed the feathers to Theatre Displays (Shown as S1-S5) and added an extra one to indicate the route from the loco release.

I am not looking for absolute prototypical authenticity. There is not enough space to fit it all in ! LU tend to have lots of signals to increase service frequency, so I want it to be busy, but not unfeasibly so.

post-7023-127644439958_thumb.jpg

Archived