British (?) Trix

railroadbill

I found and measured up some Trix Bakelite track. The result was about code 130. I also found a late Trix wheelset, which measured as about Dublo standards, but with slightly narrower wheels. Unfortunately at some time in its history the B2B had been adjusted, so I can't speak for that. To run on Dublo or scale track it would have to be 14.2mm, as the flanges are 0.8mm thick.

• Like 3

I had a set of the Trix BR plastic coaches and they were perfectly happy on hand-made track to BRMSB standards on the original MRC layout. They were also the most free-running coaches I've ever seen, they would do 2 circuits of the MRC's test track given a hard push.

I have a Ruston shunter about somewhere so will try to measure the wheels when it surfaces. I may still have 2 of them, one repainted as PWM-something. 

The AL1 wheels won't run happily on code 75 bullhead as the flanges are slightly too deep. I used to have about 6 of these at one time, now down to 2, one converted to an AL5, and bits of a body that was an attempt at an AL6 conversion when they were £4/19/6d as Locobuilder kits!

• Like 3

Agree about the free running Trix Mk1 coaches, I had some WR ones but sold them as they really didn't look right running with any 4mm scale coaches.   Or indeed in a train on their own, being pulled by an oo loco.  Ho stock is fine because it only runs in Ho session trains...

Most free-running item of stock I've got recently is the Kernow LSWR road van.

Last week end's virtual show had a piece on the Keen systems dcc uncoupler which looked worth a go, did seem to need some space in a tender to fit .  Interesting point was that the tension lock coupling bar needs to be the same height as that on the vehicle it's coupling to.  There were 2 Hornby wagons shown, one with the earlier wide coupling, the other with the narrow one. The problem was that the couplings were at different heights. Close enough for the hooks to engage, (the strength of the tension lock on uneven track I guess) but the  remote control coupling needed the same bar height to disengage the hook properly.  Quite possible that more recent stock has the same coupling height, perhaps.

Edited by railroadbill
Typo

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Agree about the free running Trix Mk1 coaches, I had some WR ones but sold them as they really didn't look right running with any 4mm scale coaches.   Or indeed in a train on their own, being pulled by an oo loco.

I used to have some. I fitted 14mm wheels and put a Meccano washer between the bogies and bodies. They looked much better.

• Like 1