Dapol B4 “Caen” Question

ATME

I have thought about adding some small lead strips inside the side tanks, but have noticed a small plastic “box” inside one tank. Has anyone ever removed it, is it possible to remove it? what purpose does it have? see pic below, thanks.

95599224-5CEB-4242-9D3D-EE88CA1F1B78.jpeg

12 hours ago, ATME said:

I have thought about adding some small lead strips inside the side tanks, but have noticed a small plastic “box” inside one tank. Has anyone ever removed it, is it possible to remove it? what purpose does it have? see pic below, thanks.

95599224-5CEB-4242-9D3D-EE88CA1F1B78.jpeg

That looks like the type of speaker Dapol fits to small locos.

I did wonder if it was a receptacle for a speaker (there are no wires poking out and appears empty). The loco was bought secondhand and appeared unused. However, a wheel fell off the axle first time out,  and needed a decoder fitting.

New set of wheels have arrived from DCC Supplies who have an impressive set of spares for Dapol locos, if a little expensive? A decoder that Hattons says fits these locos - on its way.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A further question - (having read other threads on the B4), is, when did the axle design change? The wheelset spares I received today do not fit due to the leading axle having and extra brass bearing in the centre of the axle. I presume this is the compensating axle which my version of Caen did not have. 

At £15 a pair, they will get returned assuming DCC can supply the correct set? If not, I guess I will have to try and cut out the brass bearing rather than try and mill out the chassis block to locate the central brass bearing. 

If as a last resort I have to glue the original wheel back on the old axle, can anyone recommend the best glue?

thanks