Opinions on Zephyr express

Trainnoob

I am very tempted to buy a digitrax zephyr express, because where i live there's a shop that sells them for the same price as the Hornby elite, and it comes with Loconet compatibility and Xpressnet too, but i was wondering what are the advantages of this system and whether its worth the price. 

What are the opinions here of this DCC system. 

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure it supports Xpressnet? I thought the only manufacturer that supported both Loconet and Xpressnet was digikeijs.

I like mine a lot - the menu interface is a big improvement on the older systems. The only thing I don't like about it is that the speed controller goes from 0% to 100% with end stops (i.e. a basic potentiometer) . If you're changing which loco you're controlling whilst they're moving then this can be slightly annoying. Fortunately it's easy to plug in one of Digitrax's hand-held controllers that have a rotary encoder and so speed control when you change locos starts from what the loco was last set to rather than what the controller was last set to.

The Zephyr is a decent system, its from Digitrax who've been making DCC stuff for at least 25 years.

It has LocoNet (which is a Digitrax patent, licensed to quite a lot of other makers).  It doesn't have Xpressnet (Lenz protocol). 

The Zephyr is a much better system than the Elite in my opinion. 

The Zephyr is easily expandable, works with lots of software and hardware tools should you choose to add them later.     

Main downside of any Digitrax system (and most US-designed systems( is the fixed behaviour of function keys - everything is "latching" (one press for on, one for off) except for F2 which is non-latching*.   That's less flexible than some European designed systems, and the flexibility can show itself when operating sound decoders.    However, most sound decoders are now constructed assuming the typical US-designs of throttle, where only F2 is non-latching.  

And, in common with most US systems, it doesn't support RailCom.  RailCom has some uses in automated running, but is a somewhat niche thing which most people will never encounter.  

(* there is a setting to change this, and a setting to change F3, but that's the limit of changes)

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

The Zephyr is a decent system, its from Digitrax who've been making DCC stuff for at least 25 years.

It has LocoNet (which is a Digitrax patent, licensed to quite a lot of other makers).  It doesn't have Xpressnet (Lenz protocol). 

The Zephyr is a much better system than the Elite in my opinion. 

The Zephyr is easily expandable, works with lots of software and hardware tools should you choose to add them later.     

Main downside of any Digitrax system (and most US-designed systems( is the fixed behaviour of function keys - everything is "latching" (one press for on, one for off) except for F2 which is non-latching*.   That's less flexible than some European designed systems, and the flexibility can show itself when operating sound decoders.    However, most sound decoders are now constructed assuming the typical US-designs of throttle, where only F2 is non-latching.  

And, in common with most US systems, it doesn't support RailCom.  RailCom has some uses in automated running, but is a somewhat niche thing which most people will never encounter.  

(* there is a setting to change this, and a setting to change F3, but that's the limit of changes)

- Nigel

So if i sound a two tone horn on the system it will stay sounding until i turn it off? 

22 minutes ago, Trainnoob said:

So if i sound a two tone horn on the system it will stay sounding until i turn it off? 

Depends....  depends on lots of things, including the sound project writer.    The sound project may be written to play the sound once, or it may be written to play a "loop" whilst the key is turned on.     I'd hope most sound projects will not loop a two-tone horn, but might loop a different sound such as "flange squeal". 

But, having played a sound allocated to any button other than F2, you will need to turn off the button after it has played.  Then to play again, turn the button on again.    (This is normal behaviour for any US-designed DCC system, and its the default on any European design.   The difference is that many European designs will allow you to change the default.   ).  

- Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Trainnoob said:

it comes with Loconet compatibility

What functionality do you want to get using Loconet? What devices would you like to attach via Loconet?

I ask these questions since the answers could be a factor in the choice of the controller.

Yours,  Mike.

I've got a DCS52 zephyr express and it's a great unit! The power adapter is capable of supplying plenty of current for a medium sized layout. 

The newly redesigned button panel and screen is great, and I find it very easy and simple to use - much better than the interface of the older DCS51 version. The ability to wire in two DC throttles as "Jump" throttles is great and has proven quite useful to me!  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

What functionality do you want to get using Loconet? What devices would you like to attach via Loconet?

I ask these questions since the answers could be a factor in the choice of the controller.

Yours,  Mike.

I just like the idea of using loconet accessory decoders and Lnet Accessories.

I also like Lnet servers and stuff because I'm a Computer wizz.

46 minutes ago, Trainnoob said:

because I'm a Computer wizz

OK, then you should give some consideration to the computer connection(s) to the DCC controller. Especially if you ever intend to use software to provide automation.

Stuff like feedback and occupancy detection is one of the pieces of functionality that Loconet devices can bring - necessary for some types of software.

Computer control can also be handy for dealing with point motors and signals. Controlling devices like these through the controller interface and/or controller handheld is not always particularly easy. Computer interfaces broaden the options available (I use a large touchscreen, for example).

Zephyr Express has only a USB connection available for computer connection. Some other controllers have other types of connectivity available such as Ethernet and WiFi and you may find these preferable. Examples of controllers with these types of connection include Digikeijs DR5000 and Roco Z21.

Yours,  Mike.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

OK, then you should give some consideration to the computer connection(s) to the DCC controller. Especially if you ever intend to use software to provide automation.

Stuff like feedback and occupancy detection is one of the pieces of functionality that Loconet devices can bring - necessary for some types of software.

Computer control can also be handy for dealing with point motors and signals. Controlling devices like these through the controller interface and/or controller handheld is not always particularly easy. Computer interfaces broaden the options available (I use a large touchscreen, for example).

Zephyr Express has only a USB connection available for computer connection. Some other controllers have other types of connectivity available such as Ethernet and WiFi and you may find these preferable. Examples of controllers with these types of connection include Digikeijs DR5000 and Roco Z21.

Yours,  Mike.

I plan on using a controller that plugs into JMRI.

I use JMRI running on a Raspberry Pi 400 to link to my Digikeijs DR5000 via Ethernet. I could have used WiFi for the connection, but I have Gigabit Ethernet connected to the Pi 400 anyway for higher speeds connecting to my home server for backups and data transfers.

With JMRI, the world's your oyster if you want to write your own software since it has a neat API to use. I also use  the "Engine Driver" app on Android on my smartphone which can be used to drive trains - this connects via JMRI.

Yours, Mike.