BR Class 23 Baby Deltic and class 20s

mikesndbs

20 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi

Did I read somewhere that the bogies used on the class 20s were the same on the class 23 please?

Yes, although cab steps and possible sandboxes were different.

ISTR a nasty situation at Barrow Hill involving 37372's transformation into 5910.  The group had acquired 37372 with the express intention of slicing a piece out of it then closing up the gap whilst mounting it on class 20 bogies for it's future. I believe there was a disagreement with one of the major engineers at Barrow Hill at the time who wanted to evict the group reclaim the bogies etc etc. The wind was taken out of the sails and everything seems to have calmed down.

More fascinating to me is how the actually have achieved what they have, literally cutting the loco completely through in to places, then welding it back together.  Wonder if there were any sleepless nights over that, or did engineers brass rowlocks stand up to the test. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Yes, although cab steps and possible sandboxes were different.

ISTR a nasty situation at Barrow Hill involving 37372's transformation into 5910.  The group had acquired 37372 with the express intention of slicing a piece out of it then closing up the gap whilst mounting it on class 20 bogies for it's future. I believe there was a disagreement with one of the major engineers at Barrow Hill at the time who wanted to evict the group reclaim the bogies etc etc. The wind was taken out of the sails and everything seems to have calmed down.

More fascinating to me is how the actually have achieved what they have, literally cutting the loco completely through in to places, then welding it back together.  Wonder if there were any sleepless nights over that, or did engineers brass rowlocks stand up to the test. 

It is amazing at what they are achieving down at BH on this. Having been a follower for a long time of their efforts and reading their book and posts I doubt they have had many sleepless nights. The work already done and standards they have set themselves  strike me as an extremely  knowledgeable and highly skilled group, so all decisions I'm guessing will have been thoroughly calculated. 

One of my favourite bits is the new engine/gen mount with the deltic triangle lazer cut in to help show the exact centre line. Great little touch to show the engineering skills off a little.

I'll have to get down BH again soon for a proper look.

Cheers

James

• Like 3
  • Agree 1