RAF Chilmark standard gauge locomotives

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

At the extreme south western edge of Salisbury Plain lies the village of Chilmark notable a small limestone quarry worked to provide stone for Salisbury Cathedral. The quarry closed in 1935 when demand for limestone fell due to the increased use of concrete for building purposes. The quarry and surrounding land were bought by the Air Ministry in 1936, the first consignment of war stores arrived in May 1937

The depot was served by a standard gauge spur from exchange sidings at Dinton, this was worked by a variety of diesels, latterly there were three standard-gauge locomotives.

One, Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. No. 482 built at Kilmarnock in 1963, has a Rolls Royce, Series 2104-2, “C” Range oil engine. this loco still extant.

AB_2_BW.jpg.c7a59cda202f090ab7c30ea487bbd016.jpg

The second, John Fowler No. 22604, built originally in 1939 in Leeds, was refitted in 1961 with a 165hp McLaren engine with Simms injector, thus doing away with the need for the donkey starting engine. AMW No 154, it was registered with the British Transport Commission in 1964, No 3057. No image of 22604 but the Fowler at the DVLR is of similar age

JF.jpg.d925622c7c6c22784143ccc0775a8300.jpg

The third, on loan from the Army Freight Organisation, is of 150hp and built by the Drewry Car Co Ltd in 1941, type 623, and series number 2158. Again, no image of 2158 but this loco was supplied by Drewery in 1945 to the War Department.

1576868756_Drewery2184.jpg.3123137017eec8182e5300c7eade8a40.jpg

By 1965, Chilmark was the RAF's only ammunition supply depot.RAF Chilmark closed in 1995, although clearance of explosives from the site continued until at least 1997.

If anyone can confirm whether any of these locomotives are available in 4mm or have images of the actual locos, it would be much appreciated.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

I don't know enough to be 100% sure that they are identical but there is a Drewry available as a kit from Judith Edge and the very similar GWR Fowler is available as a kit from High Level Models.

You may need to tweak a few details t get them exactly right as industrial locos did tend to get altered over the years.

Guest Jack Benson
2 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I don't know enough to be 100% sure that they are identical but there is a Drewry available as a kit from Judith Edge and the very similar GWR Fowler is available as a kit from High Level Models.

You may need to tweak a few details t get them exactly right as industrial locos did tend to get altered over the years.

Thankfully, the straitjacket of authenticity is absent for my small diorama as it is ‘inspired by’ local military establishments, rather than a copy. Thank you for your guidance, the Drewry is rather interesting as the local Defence Fuels depot were using this until closure.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Mercian do (did?) a kit for the Drewry. It's one of only two 4mm scale kits still listed on Mercian's website.

The Mercian kit was sold as a Barclay, but they're all but identical to the Drewry. As far as locomotives are concerned, I don't think that Drewry ever actually built anything themselves. Their designs were built by other companies, such as RSH, Vulcan Foundry and English Electric, so the Barclays were probably built to the Drewry design for the War Department.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Link to West Moors

The link above takes you to the SDJR blog and a section about Defence Fuels West Moors depot, the last allocation of MoD (Army) 240 nee LMS 7050 built by English Electric for Drewry in 1934. Now, the latest kit from Judith Edge but in its rebuilt guise with enclosed cab (hopefully Michael will confirm that both versions are possible) 

MoD 240 is extant and resident at the NRM albeit in a bogus LMS livery but none of this matter because I desire the version used at West Moors and I am very pleased.

StaySafe

409BC5F5-6340-4C49-9DBB-42DF6225F7CD.png.e3b72b3e5aa5d69257a84f8b4e287da5.png