Bogies - decent 9.0 foot plate bogies

• RMweb Gold

Stafford Road Works, 3D via Shapeways (sorry about that), do Dean 8'6", Dean 10', Churchward Fishbelly 9', American 8'6", Collett 7', and Collett 9', in versions allowing for Hornby and Lima mounts or for your own attachemnt, and including NEM pockets.  They don't do Pressed Steel 9 footers.

Hornby will sell you Dean footboarded 10', Collett 7', Collett 9', and Pressed Steel, the Collett 7 footers and Pressed Steels being very good models. 

Bachmann will sell you (if you ask) Collett 9' and Pressed Steel 9'.

Wizard Comet will sell you brass foldup kits with cosmetic whitemetal sideframes for Collett 7'. Collett 9', and Pressed Steel,

The Stafford Road bogies are pretty good and run very well without bearings using Hornby or Bachmann coach wheels.  As well as the mentioned Hornbys (the 10' Deans are from the 70s  and a bit crude, and the Collett 9' are the old Airfix A30 bogies), Bachmanns Collett 9' are from the old Mainline 60 footers, but the Pressed Steels are recent, for their A38.  Wizard Comet are IMHO let down by the crude whitemetal cosmetic sideframes.

My personal preference is for Hornby RTR Collett 7' or Pressed Steel, Bachmann RTR for Collett 9', and Stafford for everything else.  I am a bit miffed at Comet who supplied me with Pressed Steels that were far too wide when they were made up for my E157 B set, and had to be replaced with Hornbys.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I already have some MJT pressed steel they are fine.

Just need to know for the Collett era plate bogies in case they can't get any decent castings.

This one here on GWR site

http://www.gwr.org.uk/notes/bogie-9ft-heavy.jpg

I though Mainline were pressed steel Colletts as well

I have some NVG white metal ones, sending back for swapping.

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2021 at 19:57, MJI said:

I already have some MJT pressed steel they are fine.

Just need to know for the Collett era plate bogies in case they can't get any decent castings.

This one here on GWR site

http://www.gwr.org.uk/notes/bogie-9ft-heavy.jpg

I though Mainline were pressed steel Colletts as well

I have some NVG white metal ones, sending back for swapping.

I would use the ones from Comet / Wizard models.

Im about to replace some of my ex Lima bogies with the comet bogies.

Sadly though, at the moment Hornby are not selling the modern bogies as spares. I’ve asked and the answer was No!

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

ABS will be worth waiting for. I used both 7' and 9'HD ones on my Siphon G fleet; they just pushed together without glue or solder.

ABS?

Who is bringing those back?

Not heard from the supplier yet on mine, I hope I will just get back 8 good castings which are not warped in a way I could not straighten.

My fallback is MJT for one, two future I think there are MJT available, just the Collett 9ft plate to worry about.

And I am deliberately not naming names.