MK1 coach drawings

Does anyone know where I can get 4mm/00 gauge drawing of the MK1 coaches? 

Wanting to make a rake of two, and want to bash some older cheaper coaches into other types, to try and make a consistent look (and too tight to pay the cost of the Bachmann coach, plus it is more fun lol).

3 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

They are the same diagrams as used in the parkin book. I was after actual scale drawing to work from. Especially the different half brakes.

I think there about the best that can be found. You could simply resize them (in the olden days we'd use a photocopier, but it's easier now in image software)  so that the length corresponds to 1:76 scale and then just measure off all the dimensions you need?

Ian

They have all the relevant dimensions, but weren't designed to scale (is any drwing?). Mk I windows are fixed sizes (which I don't have to hand at the moment). The Tri-ang based Mk Is have the depth wrong. This is not readily apparent until you try to mix makes.

Mine tend to be based on the old Kitmaster kits (there are still plenty about at cheap prices - I have paid as little as £2.50 complete with the Peco interior*!). The body is 2mm too short (reflected in the bogie centres. Unfortunately the odd millimetres are taken from the extreme ends, but a bit of plastic strip will sort this during a 'cut and shut'. The simplest start is a BG from two BSKs. This coach was mounted on the short underframe (unlike some of the models). The restaurant car is easily converted to a full 1st (the earliest of these lacked the centre door making the conversion even easier) . A downside is the layout of the windows is incorrect on the CK (they should be equispaced with compartments all the same size for each class. (This error is reflected in the Peco interior, but easily corrected - curving the seats improves these immensely but is not very visible through the windows. There are even toilet fittings (the yellow is correct - coloured fittings were high fashion in the fifties!), but these are even less visible through the frosted 'glass'.

The kit wheels run true, but replacement with metal wheels running in Peco bearing cups (or pin-point bearings) improve matters. Personally I think coaches shouldn't be too free running, but this is a personal opinion and depends on the length of the train it's intended to run.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Section 9 of the Appendix of the Mk 1 Coaches Supplement (Parkin) has 4mm plans of an open second, a corridor first and a handful of catering vehicles. No 'half brakes' though.

• RMweb Premium

Same drawings as before I think but all together which is handy for comparison. If there is a preserved railway anywhere near, its quick to measure up a window and a door and you can then scale up these diagrams quite easily (I've been doing this with Colletts where the various diagrams about arent to scale).

For a cut and shut you dont have to redraw the whole thing - just a straight line with the positions marked off to scale.

http://www.easybuildcoaches.co.uk/TOP/DRAWINGS/DR 4.html

Edited by Hal Nail

While body drawings are useful, I would like to see drawings of the underframe details.  I built a 7mm Kirk kit of a Gresley 52' BG and was able to model a great deal of the U/F detail with the help of the Kemilway manuals.

I have a pair of 7mm Dapol Mk1's.  These have some of the underframe detail, but I would like to flesh that out.  MMP do a Mk1 kit but instructions are not online.

John