Goods yard weighbridges

Work on Kirkallanmuir is presently centred on the goods yard, which includes a cart weighbridge.  I have a memory of these having a low 'barrier', usually constructed from old rail, on the far side of the plate from the office.  It has been suggested to me that this was to prevent any 'cheating' by having the far away set of wheels off the plate, thus recording a low weight!  My question is, was this an original feature which would have been there c1900, or something which was added in more modern times?  I have been unable to find a photo of a goods yard around that time which shows the weighbridge.  Anyone here got any idea?

75511902_goodsyard29.JPG.70c35f04745bb33f4165e623a825474e.JPG

Jim

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Since posting the above I've been sent a photo via the CRA Forum of a weighbridge in Scotstoun West goods yard at the time of construction which has no such barrier.  Although I have made one up, I will leave it off meantime.

Jim

• Like 2

I thought such rails were a little further beyond the weighbridge and were to protect somebody working on/under the wagon being checked against passing traffic in the yard getting too close, similar to railings outside doorways close to the line or a road.   

Certainly absent at many weighbridges.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1