Does any military modellers/wargamers recognise this?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Not really a military modeller, I just happen to be planning a micro based on a small '50s Army stores depot tucked away in rural Dorset.

Rather than assume, a quick trip to a former Army camp revealed a few features that I had ignored, this in particular.

spacer.png

A fairly typical bunker with blast wall to protect the entrances. It looks fairly easy to replicate but does anyone offer the entrances as a kit?

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

if you are modelling it in use , it probably had earth banked up on the outside of those walls as well, or at least sandbags..

Guest Jack Benson
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

if you are modelling it in use , it probably had earth banked up on the outside of those walls as well, or at least sandbags..

I sincerely hope that it was not in use in the ‘50s

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

Little old buildings like that are still in use now...  IF they have steel doors on them, as ammo stores. Then they would have the earth still piled up on the outside of the blast walls.

1950's only 5 years after the end of WW2 with the threat of nuclear war with the USSR.. Too right would air raid shelters  have still been kept intact and available for use.

National service then, just the thing to keep the ERCs busy,  painting piles of sand bags..

Also the Korean war 1950 -53 Chinese provided North Korea with man power but USSR the weapons .. anything Could have happened..

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 2

As a  kid, I remember rolling my bike down the slope from the top of a large one of those structures on a disused airfield.  It managed to go a surprising distance bumping over the uneven grass and correcting itself in an impressive and apparently implausible way - until the front wheel suddenly turned 90 degrees and it half somersaulted to a halt.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, StuartMc said:

As a  kid, I remember rolling my bike down the slope from the top of a large one of those structures on a disused airfield.  It managed to go a surprising distance bumping over the uneven grass and correcting itself in an impressive and apparently implausible way - until the front wheel suddenly turned 90 degrees and it half somersaulted to a halt.

Could be a hangar or a bomb dump, they still build concrete hangars covered in earth today, often they don't have the earth on them as it's easier to maintain the tar roof. in theory in the build up to war the bulldozers would turn up and cover them up..

Standard basic personnel shelter, the blast walls right in front of the doors give its use away, it may be a 50's depot but most of those were in active use during WW2, often such structures were built above ground when the local water table was fairly high, there were several different designs, designed to protect people from flying shrapnel rather than a direct hit. You might find a wargaming stockist would have something suitable, but it's a very easy structure to scratch build