East Penn Industrial Spur

Alcanman

56 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Be honest - you dropped it on the floor, didn"t you?? :rolleyes:  :mosking:

I certainly know what will happen if I do drop it on the floor.

I'm now worried that the cement spur track is rather close to the baseboard edge, may have to ban #2395 from cement workings!;)

End of year progress update.

The layout is approx 2/3rds finished with the remaining work at the right hand end being mainly scenic.

I have decided that the staging track will be hidden with a road overbridge. I simply need the space in staging area to store stock, which is constantly being rotated on and off the layout.

Operationally, the layout provides just enough interest for short, relaxing switching sessions of 20 to 30 minutes. I'm quite happy with that. 

Usually the 2 spurs are switched independently, although sometimes a corn syrup car will be added to the usual 3 car cement car consist.

Scenically, I've been trying out new products from Noch - grass mats and Busch -grass tufts. 2mm static grass has been applied with a Noch puffer bottle. 

Finally, I'd like to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Mal

DSCF5021 (2) new.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

Quite a lot of progress on the layout in the past week.

Seamoss trees added and more 2mm static grass, Noch grass mat and Busch grass tufts.

A yard office is in place and a road bridge hides the entrance to the staging track.

DSCF5040 (2).JPG

• Like 12

I've also started weathering RBMN U23B #2395 beginning with the trucks and fuel tank.

I like to take things slowly with weathering nowadays, doing a little at a time, then taking a photo on the layout to see how it looks. With this particular loco, I think I'll retain a clean look as I really like the Conrail Express paint scheme.

DSCF5045 (3)new.jpg

• Like 8

I've just worked out why this layout looks more spacious than some of your others - apart from possibly slightly less track(?) it's the curve on the loop there; gives the impression the track continues further on very effectively. :yes: :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Working from prototype photos, I weathered a few more cement cars.

These type of modern cars don't seem to be heavily weathered so I used a simple panel wash, favoured by military modellers, using an AK Interactive enamel wash.

Trucks and wheels are painted with Likecolor acrylics with a little rust weathering powder added.

DSCF5045 (2).JPG

DSCF5046 (2).JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

NS GP38-2 #5664 switching corn syrup cars.

Strangely ,when I bought the loco it was sold by Atlas in their Master Series range as a GP38, which is also shown on the box.

However, according to the markings on the cabside it is a GP38-2. Photo evidence seems to confirms this.

epis jan.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 14:30, Alcanman said:

Strangely ,when I bought the loco it was sold by Atlas in their Master Series range as a GP38, which is also shown on the box.

However, according to the markings on the cabside it is a GP38-2. Photo evidence seems to confirms this.

Hope this isn't a "Grandma/eggs" moment, but the usual spotting difference between a GP38 and 38-2 is the sight glass on the bodyside of the -2, usually in one of the hood doors just under the long grille on the Engineer's side - the side in your photo.

The model seems to lack the sight glass hole, as per a GP38, & as per the box description, but if prototype photos say it's a -2... then :dontknow:  :scratchhead:  

14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Hope this isn't a "Grandma/eggs" moment, but the usual spotting difference between a GP38 and 38-2 is the sight glass on the bodyside of the -2, usually in one of the hood doors just under the long grille on the Engineer's side - the side in your photo.

The model seems to lack the sight glass hole, as per a GP38, & as per the box description, but if prototype photos say it's a -2... then :dontknow:  :scratchhead:  

I may have an answer to this conundrum, NS rebuilt a number of  high hood GP38s to -2 standard but the work didn’t include adding a sight glass. RR Picture Archives has a shot of 5665 post rebuild http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=83378

• Like 3