Mystery Athearn Blue Box err... thing...

• RMweb Premium

I have a soft spot for oddballs and weird rolling stick so I dipped into my wallet and shelled out a modest amount a few days ago for this:

20211105_092244.jpg.0dadc82a0a516870f70b447850fde060.jpg

It is definitely an Athearn Blue Box job, it is a bit of a wreck (a fixer upper!) and seems to be a strange  presumably generic half caboose and half box car.

Anyone able to shed light on what this is vaguely based on?

Pretty certain SP never had any...

• RMweb Premium

Well, the MoW Department is where it will be heading after a full makeover, oddly I have been unable to find any pictures online of one of these which is unusual as Athearn Blue Box models were made by the tens if not hundreds of thousands so you would have thought there would be a picture of another one somewhere!

Cute car!  It looks to be a Walthers MoW car, on the concept of an old wooden boxcar modified with bay windows for crew accommodation at one end and the other end has supply storage.  Maybe to support the Big Hook?  But I suspect it was "imagineered" rather than based on a prototype.  Should be a fun addition to your pike!

Don't think its Athearn.  More like a AHM/IHC car.  It has "pizza cutter" flanges on the wheels which is typical of a European produced model not an American made one.  I has a roof and roof walk design that no Athearn cars used.  

There should be clues on the bottom.  

• RMweb Premium

Much like most US outline HO, there are no makers marks or other identification whatsoever.

It always puzzled me that this seems to be the default situation. It makes identifying a specific make of a model rather difficult and often leads to confusion in Ebay listings.