The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

tractionman

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Sorry, indeed, yes, I mentioned deer. I see them almost every ride at this time of year. Maybe they’re out of cover because they’re hungrier, or just more visible because the leaves are off the trees. 

They may well also be getting bolder because they are no longer subjected to regular appearances of Humans, on horseback, brandishing bows & arrows, or Wolves.

After a wet start, it has turned into a beautiful day. Out for a quick spin on the bike, I thought I would check the gate at the bottom of our local 'mountain'. This gate is shared by Coilte (Irish Forestry Commission) and the local windfarm and is usually locked. Today it was open which meant I had 10km of off road with plenty of climbing and descending. Shame I had the wrong tyres on but good fun if a little hairy at times. I also had too much pressure in the tyres so it was a bit of a bone shaker. Fortunately I checked my rear through axle when I got back onto the tarmac as it had come loose, albeit by only half a turn. Another side affect of having the wrong tyres on. Anyway it was a great ride and gave the old cardio vascular a good work out.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

After a wet start, it has turned into a beautiful day.

Lucky you! For our pre-Christmas club-run today it was cold, damp and dreary. Still, we had a reasonable turn-out (10) and it was good to get out for a bit, and a chat over tea, coffee, cake, bacon butties...

• Like 2

9.4 very hilly electrically-assisted miles today through the thick fog, drizzle and manic festive driving, with toasty warm hands all the way thanks to the Magic Gloves.  The highlights were a tart with a severe Croydon facelift, Scouse brows, trout lips and a docker's vocabulary giving a UPS driver a hard time for parking where she wanted to park, and watching the sheeple drive slowly nose to tail round and round the Waitrose carpark playing Find-A-Slot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2021 at 13:14, Classsix T said:

The second front lamp has gone "missing", at this rate I'm gonna have half a dozen rear lights but just the one front facing...tsk.

C6T. 

9B49B356-5F4E-4705-A063-5020843FCBF6.jpeg.aed32fb16f0e8ba205dc55e74052781a.jpeg

I tend to ride with double rear lights anyway, I got caught out with a rechargeable LED type running out once, no warning, and no fading, straight to off. 
43D2910C-6B6D-4B20-963A-8D3DC24710B0.jpeg.ac13192df8b3b7a8e535ce475d16c59d.jpeg

Last three days have been back into training on the mtb, getting gravel ready for the summer. Trainings harder on the mtb, and all weathers, so it automatically falls into train hard ride easy.

• Like 6

Was out on Boxing day after the early rain Cleared, managed nearly 20 miles and the sun came out too, 

Jobs to do at home and Getting over a cold so did not want to be out too long! 

Managed A quick 6 mile ride today between rain showers. 

IMG_20211226_173251.jpg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

between rain showers.

I don't think there's been any "between" here, only varying intensities, from 'very heavy downpour' to 'persistent drizzle' and the weather in your photo is so alien that I assumed you must be in the South of France.

Currently building-up reserve stores of fat, hoping to draw upon them ater in the week!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

weather in your photo is so alien that I assumed you must be in the South of France!

Close, West Cornwall with Godrevy Island and St. Ives in the distance, photo taken on Boxing day by a friend at the western most point of my ride, today's efforts was a quick ride along local roads and cycle trails, It started to rain again as I was washing the mud off my bike when I returned around midday, and hasn't really stopped yet! 

Still got to finish cleaning the bike too.. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually went for a ride on the bike today, first time in what feels like an age!

only popped to sainsburys but went the long way round and managed to get 11 miles in (it’s normally 2.1 mile) and burn off a few Christmas calories, might try and get a few more commuting trips in this coming week if I can 

2EFF526D-9554-4FF4-B237-1DBC70BCBE43.jpeg.a2d22ff2f5d3dae306e3c0a922cb268c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, PMP said:

9B49B356-5F4E-4705-A063-5020843FCBF6.jpeg.aed32fb16f0e8ba205dc55e74052781a.jpeg

I tend to ride with double rear lights anyway, I got caught out with a rechargeable LED type running out once, no warning, and no fading, straight to off. 

Having had a lamp spent an entire day accidentally left turned on in my pocket, I always carry a 35mm film case (Google it kids) with five spare triple A's. It wouldn't hurt to have more rearward illumination as you suggest though.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I got on mine this morning and one of my rear lights was flat, luckily I’ve got 3 more to choose from!

it’s one thing I get wound up with on Dominic’s bike I tell him to keep on top of his lights being charged but I’ll check them and He’ll be down to just one working, he has 4 as well

he is very visible from the front though, I went to pick him up from work the other night as it was raining and his phone was dead, I thought he may have set off so kept an eye out for him en route, sure enough a really bright pair of headlights came toward me on the cycle path next to the main road, as he turned where the path goes behind a hedge his spoke reflectors really stood out in my headlights as his his colas hi-viz jacket, still worry about him out on it in the dark though! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, big jim said:

still worry about him out on it in the dark though! 

As is natural Jim. Having done so much to "Ready Brek" yourselves though, I think you're both probably more visible at night than during the day!

Even with my singular front and rear lights I think the same is true of myself however. A dozy berk in a MG-F was going to pull out whilst I was literally 2m away from him in ASDA's carpark last week during my noon commute causing me to brake and swear. 'King idiot.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Friendly/supportive 1