The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

tractionman

12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Back in the 1975/6 fuel shortage, some of us got to do that for real.....   :jester:

1339606684_photo5.JPG.164ae65dc03483108cb3f8a1a4e43918.JPG

Ahah!  The Jet Provost, the engine type of which was classified in my day as a VNCT jet i.e. Variable Noise, Constant Thrust, .  Nice aeroplane to fly, though I got less than 100 hours in on them before losing my aircrew medical category.  Once rode a Clinton-powered Trobike in full flying kit* , but never a pushbike ...

*All the way round the peri track at Acklington, since you ask.  Flat out, in the dark, with no lights.  Don't remember why, exactly, but it was a dining-in night ...

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

There are, fortunately, alternatives in the area, Jordan's Mill not least among them. There's also Moggerhanger Park, and The Pallet Cafe at Thorncote Green, all not far away. There's also the Vintage Tea Rooms at Southill, and, a bit further afield, The Barn at Cardington... will any of those do? :D

I know Jordan's.

At one time I would aim for the GC at Waresley but in my current state that is a bit too far.

The attraction of the airfield was that there were usually aircraft about and often people in the cafe who were working on site and would provide interesting conversation.

I think it was there I saw an original Bleriot machine and was surprised to see that it was fitted with almost standard bike wheels but shod with modern Continental tyres.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2022 at 21:40, Mark Forrest said:

A couple of useful routes on their website too, thanks for that link.  Work takes me to WGC every couple of weeks and I'd been thinking about going for an after work ride on the gravel bike when the nights get a bit lighter - thanks

I know the whole WGC area very well so if you want any suggestions feel free to ask. The old railway from WGCto Luton trackbed has a good percentage as a bridle path, and there’s plenty of on and off points into the countryside. Welwyn village has some good pubs as does the Ayot and areas to north of wgc. The underlying soil type can be a mix of clay/chalk so if it’s been very wet it can be properly hard work and filthy off road.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

Indeed. They tried it some time before the pandemic, and then relented, but this time it's permanent. The cafe is spacious and was never crammed. 

The management changed and IIRC the CEO or whatever their title is has come from Duxford. That too had had a significant commercial emphasis applied to it and has lost at least one of it’s key airshows. You can understand them wanting to generate revenue from the sites, at OW it was perhaps too easy to see too much, including the gardens I think, without paying an entrance fee. However in effect paying to use a cafe means your cuppa will cost £20, not conducive to encouraging any passing trade I’d imagine.

• Agree 1

Years ago, the gardens were very cheap to enter, and very run down, then they increased the garden price and seriously refurbished them, making them very pleasant indeed. There was a sort of ‘trap’ system by the back door of the cafe next to the pay desk to stop people sneaking in for free. My youngest daughter was entranced by the place when she was small, because the peacocks in there would take food from your hand.

……. sorry, this is even more OT than trains!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So chaps, what wonderful bike rides did you get in while spring was here, and RMWeb was off sick?

Personally, I managed none at all, because, having fitted the newly arrived Schwalbe GT365 tyres to the mountain bike in anticipation of some interesting rides, I promptly went down like a sack spuds with covid.

Now that winter is back, I’m recovering, but it seems a bit of a slow process, and current hope is to restart very, very gentle bikes rides next week.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been racking the mileage up in the new bikes, the electric bike is sold so no going back now, with the weather being half decent I’ve been getting off a stop early and riding in the last few miles a few times, also due to some disruption the other day I was late getting in and the guard on the train got authority to let me off the local door at Aston so I could get to my train! Nice joined up thinking on the railway for once! 

did a rugby to Leamington ride via the old trackbed last week on the mountain bike which was an experience, had I been on the hybrid I’d have been crying, part of it was a greenway and the suspension and sprung seatpost certainly came into their own, Komoot took me off the path at one point but I Carried on only to find myself in a swamp (as strava called the segment!) then I was riding down a 6inch deep stream for 1/2 mile, should have listened to it for once! 
FullSizeRender(361).jpg

41D7E208-30E3-4653-8C7C-2265F75C060A.jpg

9985127B-2AA4-47AB-B3D1-9AAF0A97A8D8.jpg

IMG_4455.HEIC

been doing a few canal tow path rides too

FullSizeRender(360).jpg

FullSizeRender(359).jpg

Bike wise I’ve swapped the stems on both bikes, an adjustable one on the mountain bike as I got a bit of an achy back on the Leamington ride, I was in my work gear with a backpack though 

ive also swapped the schwalbe tyres for a set of slicker finnci road tyres that were on offer in Amazon for £16 the pair instead of £40, seem ok so far, I’ve put the schwalbe on the RooDog for selling as the originals were perished 

Original stem

IMG_4445.HEIC

adjustable one 

IMG_4446.HEIC

And a fixed stem on the hybrid 

IMG_4514.HEIC

as well as changing the brake pads, I thought the brakes were pretty good when I got it as it’s the first hydraulic brakes I’ve had but when I got the mountain bike I realised they weren’t as good as they should have been as they were like night and day 

IMG_4449.HEIC

One of them needs bleeding though as there is still a fair bit of lever travel 

did a bit of basic maintainance and tidying up in my mums old RooDog bike ready to sell, got both batteries working after 7 years of not being used, they both began charging fine and I’ve been out for a couple of test rides on the bike since and both batteries have managed a full power 20+ mile ride without the battery going completely flat

IMG_4478.HEIC

I’ve got that bike up on eBay for £600 start bid with the extra battery, also got the trek pilot up for £150 start bid 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2022 at 09:46, PMP said:

The old railway from WGCto Luton trackbed has a good percentage as a bridle path

In fact the route between Harpenden and Luton is tarmac the whole way, 5 or 6 miles in total.

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

So chaps, what wonderful bike rides did you get in while spring was here, and RMWeb was off sick?

Not as much as I should have liked, due to one reason or another. Was hoping to go through the 1k mark for the year so far before the end of March, but I'm still short by 21 miles! Nothing this week, but did manage 350 miles over the preceding 2 weeks.

Edited by Nickey Line
Clarification

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

…we’re still working on the new abode Jim and my bike is yet to make the journey from Cheshire but PM me anytime from Tuesday when you have time for a beer and we’ll meet up.

BeRTIe

will do, we go to the RAFA club, a lot cheaper than the holiday park

21 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

In fact the route between Harpenden and Luton is tarmac the whole way, 5 or 6 miles in total.

When I went along that way, I found there was a sort of hole in the off-road route from the outskirts of Harpenden to near Wheathampsted, where you have to go either on the main road, or up a hill, along a lane, and back down.

Also, once you get near Luton Airport, the route into and through the centre of Luton is a bit anarchic - basically a cycle lane at the edge of a road, the lane being a fest of potholes, with cars and vans parked all over it. Very weird in the centre of Luton too, through the shopping area, because so many people seem to smoke that the air is thick with it, I don’t think I’ve been anywhere else like it.

The southern end of NCN6 is a very rare bike ride - I’d recommend it to any overseas cycle tourist as a look at “the real England”, because it manages to cover off Windsor Castle at one extreme, and some pretty “down to earth” bits of the back of Watford and Luton. You can learn a lot more about England from it than from any amount of glorious scenery.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I found there was a sort of hole in the off-road route from the outskirts of Harpenden to near Wheathampsted,

Yes, from Leasey Bridge Lane to Wheathamstead, due to a couple of miles of ex-railway land now being in private hands.

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Also, once you get near Luton Airport, the route into and through the centre of Luton is a bit anarchic

The sort of route you only do once! It does get a bit better from Leagrave...

All educational.

The alternative route via the busway is actually very good, indeed, then after about half a mile more of anarchy in Dunstable, the bit onward to Leighton Buzzard Is brilliant, running down the Stephenson-designed railway route.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

In fact the route between Harpenden and Luton is tarmac the whole way, 5 or 6 miles in total 

Indeed it is, my comment was more biased towards the eastern end, as I’m assuming @Mark Forrestwould likely be mountainbike riding from his earlier posts. For that the eastern section has lots of potential for getting ‘off grid’.

As far as the past week or so has been, it’s been a fairly typical mix of gravel, road and cross country mountainbiking for me, building up for first sportive this year at Easter.

6D90C79E-6879-403D-B622-EE05803392E6.jpeg.818ef28bc10e8b33a8ea9256e51d0f5c.jpeg

9B8FA343-BF66-4A1B-96DE-4345D61E7FE5.jpeg.2bfdf6155c542bea57f9b68182f6a7d3.jpeg

109FE6AD-695E-468B-B4E0-0F71F0D4B89E.jpeg.87953f992f9c9cb87d9504f9c979f90b.jpeg

5F0BEC07-607A-40D0-9673-4E5D17B0C3A5.jpeg.a0dbb9bb901cf55f291316430c3b19a7.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Got the rear bike rack I acquired off my stepdad working earlier, the thread had stripped in the retaining bolt and I managed to source a spare, it is a fine thread M20 bolt that the likes of screwfix and b&q wouldn’t have on the shelf, I visited a fastener shop and they didn’t have one either but sent me to a local engineering suppliers who took one look, disappeared out back and came back with the correct replacement, proper old school establishment!

i means I can now put one of the bikes on the back for trip up to the caravan next week and not have to fit it in with all the luggage (and cats!) all the electrics work as well, just need a number plate for it

2888387F-2112-4BD8-AF85-97CA8212CD86.jpeg.382f6f63d826774f908961a995a1bd9e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a ride before work today, monsal trail from bakewell and back, went that way to get the uphill bit out of the way first so I could have an easy ride back, 

lovely ride with a Bakewell tart/pudding afterwards!

CC9EF053-9008-4093-83A6-C9D0C601D168.jpeg.40659f684b98e7e4c5fa5bb78a841a79.jpeg

took the hybrid as I knew it would be a decent surface and light gradient so didn’t need the suspension and extra gears 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Couldn’t decide which bike to take to silloth so decided to take a couple with me, plumped for the hybrid and the road bike, hopefully the weather will improve to get some decent rides in 

11AE7EC4-E1B0-427E-BAEC-274E8DD5C644.jpeg.1ad2ca4fd68e6f965e906b7bf600f2e6.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wasn’t sure if I’d get any rides in when I heard the wind this morning but I decided to have a short ride into silloth to at least get some miles in

took the racing bike out today, only issue I had was I couldn’t get into the lowest gear cog on the until the very last 1/2 mile of the ride where I easily managed 25mph had I been able to earlier I recon I’d have blasted back a bit quicker As I felt I was topping out 

I ended up heading toward allonby but going inland to try and avoid the headwind, it was still there slowing me down but I got to the coast and the wind was behind me I flew back north!

The light blue line is the slower speed and darker line is faster

D1695382-AFD4-4D53-887A-0C9C02552997.jpeg.a9fac289b3add7d9068d52f2cbe3f3b0.jpeg

• Like 2

I, on the other hand, seem to have enrolled on a course that might be called  “How to take the fun out of cycling”, but which is really the recommended post-covid recovery plan for cyclists, starting with no cycling at all in Week 1 (thankfully over), just gentle walking, then building-up intensity levels very slowly and progressively, to get back to normal in Week 5 assuming all goes to plan.

Here is what today’s looked like ……. Not exciting!

94BEDF5D-78F9-416F-8C24-41344647D241.jpeg.b9dcca8a40a72d9a41751477edc0052f.jpeg

But, it does seem necessary/appropriate, because I can feel that my power level and “battery capacity” are far below what they’d normally be.

• Like 1