OO9 newbie

Penybontshed

I've ordered a Bachmann Hunslet and purchased the Scenecraft slate buildings with a view to building a nice small quarry layout. I have a tentative plan and need to start purchasing track.

My question is do I buy insulfrog or electrofrog points for such a small wheelbase lcoc?

I may fit a chip, but also may stick with DC.

Any help will be appreciated.

TBH it's not a question of what you buy but what you want to use as a minimum radius that will decide your choice. The Crazy Track 12" radius RH and LH and 18" radius Y points and the Mainline 15" radius points are ALL electrofrog. The set track 9" radius points are BOTH dead frog (insulfrog).

So if you want sharp radii points you have no choice but to use insulfrog unless you make your own!

• RMweb Premium

If you later want to buy some of the bigger 009 locomotives (eg: from Heljan or some European H0e from Roco, for example), do note they’re not all designed to go round the 9” curves: a bit like standard gauge OO and traditional first radius Setrack curves won’t accommodate some contemporary r-t-r.  Just be aware.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

Heljan certainly are 12" but Roco will go round sharper, even the 0-8-0 Engerths (I have two!). I think you might be thinking of the Bemo whitemetal collection of steam locos, Bemo specify a minimum radius of 300mm.

It's the usual advice to any beginner, us the largest radii you can, and also avoid dead frog (insulfrog) points if possible!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Penybontshed.  Looking around RMweb, I’ve happened upon a couple of your other threads about narrow gauge modelling - specifically about using an IKEA table top.  The 1000mm x 600mm dimensions do rather constrain the maximum radius - this is a photo using a Peco Setrack starter set which has 9” (228mm) radius curves:

52CD1B0E-FA61-47A7-9449-8B68DB25A23F.jpeg.99f388d6bcb55740cdabf2cb4916d911.jpeg

This Loco is a short wheelbase Liliput 0-4-0 diesel, which does run fine with the Setrack Insulfrog points, though I think the wheelbase is longer than the for the Hunslet.

I then built a test layout, which I didn’t put directly onto the table, but built a simple baseboard to sit on top of it (for this I bought some Flextrack for transition curves):

4CBDA5C1-6F0C-493C-88F2-306164D4E8DD.jpeg.b9db4cd85fc3ded028dd26cc63ce2a1a.jpeg

63074935-C43B-4292-9C23-3441585B81E2.jpeg.cb08a34f579e5b6ffbdf9ac745af19af.jpeg

While I have stayed with Insulfrog points, I checked it out carefully (on NGRM) first, and I’d agree with @Hobby’s advice:

On 11/11/2021 at 07:39, Hobby said:

Heljan certainly are 12" but Roco will go round sharper, even the 0-8-0 Engerths (I have two!). I think you might be thinking of the Bemo whitemetal collection of steam locos, Bemo specify a minimum radius of 300mm.

It's the usual advice to any beginner, us the largest radii you can, and also avoid dead frog (insulfrog) points if possible!

The other piece of advice of course is: have fun! But I think that’s taken as read 😀.  Hope sharing what I’ve learned helps, Keith.

(Test layout photos borrowed from my Layout Thread).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Post edited for Replacement Photos)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Hi Hobby - I’ve been told the Roco 1099 Mariazellerbahn electrics won’t go below their 10.5” curves, due to the 6-wheel bogies with coupling rods and the cab steps and underframes?  Not directly relevant, but - as I’ve found - it doesn’t take long before all sorts of second hand narrow gauge bargains start to catch the eye (I cite myself as entirely guilty of this).

I think Bachmann have said their new Double Fairlie will go round first radius (ie: 9”) curves - but I wouldn’t want to be quoted on that.  Others will be better placed to comment.

It's a long time since I had one of the 1099s so TBH I don't know, I tend to avoid Peco's 9" curves anyhow, Roco's 10.5" are my minimum.

According to the spiel the double Fairlie will indeed go round 9"... I suppose it's appropriate as that's what they were designed for... ;)

• Thanks 1