Returning modeller - traverser enquiry

Hi, I'm returning to railway modelling after several years break. I model in N gauge and the last build was a tail-chaser for my son to enjoy. He's just gone off to Uni, so I have time and space to build a new 8' end-to-end layout based on Bodmin General (see Bodmin track plan posted by member 'Fatadder' - thanks, whoever you are, it's been a great start for me). I hope to use a traverser to save the cost of points and enable longer storage tracks, but 1. are these a problem in N gauge and 2. how do you ensure electical connectivity across the rail break ?

All advice will be gratefully received.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Are you using DC or DCC - if DCC you can just wire up the traverser so that it is live all of the time - if not people often use sliding bolts to lock the traverser in place and provide electrical continuity.

HTH

Jim

I'm using old standard controllers as I have a large number of loco's and can't afford the upgrade at this point. Thanks for your suggestion.

Toby

Hiya

Are you using DC or DCC - if DCC you can just wire up the traverser so that it is live all of the time - if not people often use sliding bolts to lock the traverser in place and provide electrical continuity.

HTH

Jim

I have seen people use printed circuit board strip both sides of the gap, the rails are soldered to it and insulation gaps are made in the appropriate places. Brass tube is soldered to the pcb (outside of the rails)and a brass rod is passed through them. This has 2 purposes 1 for electrical connection 2 to align the tracks

Brass door bolts can provide both locking and electrical contact. Some are rather sloppy and may need some attention to this and the bolt part can be sawn up to give more 'sockets'.

The '99p stores' have them at the moment, but I don't know how 'tight' they are. I was going to use them for my own traverser project. (Planning permission required from SWMBO :( or fait accompli! ;))

If you can get to ANY of the model shows listed elsewhere on this forum, you will find a variety of solutions to your problem on display. Ask nicely, and you will be given, I'm sure, full details of the how & why, (and probably the drawbacks found with use) by the owners / operators. The fact that they exhibit means they are proud of their work and love to talk about it!

I'm hoping to get the the Warley show for the first time in years, subject to permission from SWMBO (I'm not the only one I see - I guess that dates us to Rumpole's TV series). The fact that her parents live in Sutton Coldfield could be used to my advantage - free B&B and she gets to go shopping with her Mum. Good point re exhibitors, on my last visit to the show I found everyone I asked questions of to be very helpful if they were free. I'll keep my eyes open for the fiddle yards this time - not something I've conciously done before as we had a simple tail chaser to keep my son entertained.

If you can get to ANY of the model shows listed elsewhere on this forum, you will find a variety of solutions to your problem on display. Ask nicely, and you will be given, I'm sure, full details of the how & why, (and probably the drawbacks found with use) by the owners / operators. The fact that they exhibit means they are proud of their work and love to talk about it!

Archived