O gauge Track dimensions and soldering flexi track

Oliver1940

Hello,

I'm fairly new to O gauge and have been using OO and I'm looking to start an O gauge layout. My question is I plan to use a 6ft curve radius but need to make sure that it means the width of the loop is 6ft? Also if I'm using flexi track and track setters so should I solder the rails before curving them or should I use another method? Thanks!

Oliver

Edited by Oliver1940

• Oliver1940 changed the title to O gauge Track dimensions and soldering flexi track

Good to know you are starting in 0 gauge Oliver.  I've been doing it for about 6 years, after doing 00 for about 30.  Probably the best modelling decision I made.  No more horrid compromises with gauge and couplings.

A 6' radius curve should be comfortable but bear in mind it is equivalent to ~3' in 00.  The width of the loop, or diameter, will therefore be 12'.  You're a lucky chap if you have that kind of room.

Soldering rails around curves is a standard practice I believe and will stop the track from kinking.

My layout is 21' long and that includes a 5' sector plate.  My layout thread is linked below.

John

4 hours ago, Oliver1940 said:

My question is I plan to use a 6ft curve radius but need to make sure that it means the width of the loop is 6ft?

Radius is the distance in a straight line from the centre of a circle to the edge.

Diameter is the distance across the circle, edge to edge,  in a straight line through the centre, so is twice the radius.

A 6ft radius circle, has a diameter of 12ft.

I suspect this discussion will now go in the direction of what the minimum usable radius for 0 is, the answer to which is “it depends on a lot of things”, and is discussed in a thread here somewhere that explores what all those things are.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oliver1940 said:

Thanks for the quick replies answering both my questions. Now knowing this I might go for an L shape layout or most likely an end to end. 

Cheers

Oliver

I don't know how much space you have but, an end to end or branch line terminus (BLT) is the usual configuration.  There are examples of very inspiring small layouts here. 

If you do an L shape, presumably the short leg would be the fiddle yard (sector plates are quite efficient) and should be long enough for your trains. 

I have two 2 coach rakes which is all I can fit on my layout.  Passenger operations take up a lot of space so you might think on a freight only layout.

John

Edited by brossard

The 57XX is a good loco for shunting.  Both Dapol and Minerva do excellent models.

13' is a bit small but I have seen credible layouts in as little as 9'.  An autocoach paired with Dapol's 14XX will probably be all you can fit.

BTW, for context my room is 20' x 11'.  I got 21' by putting the layout on the diagonal.

I'm currently building a second layout.  The plan is to make it 10' long and themed as a Canal dock so freight only.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158325-building-scalescenes-canal-wharf-layout-in-0-gauge-track-planning/

John

Edited by brossard

Yes 13' is a bit small but hopefully I can make the most of it by building the layout on a slight curve or diagonally like how you made yours. I looked at your second layout and noticed you have the Peco turnout templates. Did you download them straight from the Peco website because I tried and they don't seem to be available though I might need to try a different device.

Oliver

Hi, Oliver, thanks for checking out my layouts.  Hope you get some ideas.

Yes, I use Peco templates a lot.  The more popular templates can be downloaded directly off the Peco site.  The set track templates can be found on Tower Models site.  I mostly use Firefox.

I like to build my own turnouts as it saves a lot of money.  Takes practice though.

John

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oliver1940 said:

Yes 13' is a bit small but hopefully I can make the most of it by building the layout on a slight curve or diagonally like how you made yours. I looked at your second layout and noticed you have the Peco turnout templates. Did you download them straight from the Peco website because I tried and they don't seem to be available though I might need to try a different device.

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

13ft by how much? Can you use more of the room for temporary attachments when running the layout? Such as a cassette-based fiddle yard.

Even using the diagonal or L shaped you might have trouble with the tightness of the curve.

I suggested a design for someone with a similar problem a while ago, although he had more than 13ft on the longest side. He wanted to use both sides of a garage but was worried about the radius to get around the end in O gauge so I came up with this neat trick, which you might be able to adapt:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2021 at 14:03, Harlequin said:

Hi Oliver,

13ft by how much? Can you use more of the room for temporary attachments when running the layout? Such as a cassette-based fiddle yard.

Even using the diagonal or L shaped you might have trouble with the tightness of the curve.

I suggested a design for someone with a similar problem a while ago, although he had more than 13ft on the longest side. He wanted to use both sides of a garage but was worried about the radius to get around the end in O gauge so I came up with this neat trick, which you might be able to adapt:

Hi,

I have about 13ft x 7ft so I hope to maybe fit some 2nd radius curves to complete a circuit and maybe a slightly wider out side line. The layout you linked is very good inspiration for a relatively tight radius layout. Seeing as the rtr A3 and A4 can negotiate 2nd radius I may be able to run 2 coach passenger trains.

Oliver