Guidance On How To Service/Dismantle An Athearn Genesis GP38-2 HO Locomotive

steveNCB7754

Can anyone point me towards a detailed guide (print or video) on how to access/disassemble such a loco, because the searches I have done online so far, have failed to turn up anything particularly useful? There are loads of reviews and videos of them operating on people's layouts, but I cannot seem to find anything specific about getting into/servicing this particular locomotive.  There is an owners manual in the box, with 'exploded views', but nothing explaining how to (safely) get the loco into that condition.

Background:  deep in the mists of time I got it into my head that I would like to do a 'Modern Image' US (HO) switching layout.  Upshot was, that in May 2015 I ordered (and imported into the UK) a new Athearn Genesis GP38-2 (CSX livery with DCC Tsunami sound) from Trainworld in New York.  Lovely loco and worked great out of the box and I spent quite a while getting to know the DCC side, including messing about with the momentum, acceleration and feedback settings, but it effectively ended up as a display model for several years.  Then, in 2019, I took early retirement and sold up and moved to my present address, downsizing in the process (so the loco has spent from then until now, packed away in storage).  Practical reality being what it is, I have had to re-evaluate my modelling priorities and, sadly, decided that US HO is no longer a goal (or practical in my new circumstances), so am preparing to sell that 'stuff'.  Needless to say, I need to check that all is well with the loco before I advertise it, which is where the problem has arisen.

Put simply, whilst the sound and lights work absolutely fine, getting the loco to actually move in any direction is not going so well!  As it was so long since I last 'played' with it, I eventually did a 'factory reset', so as to rule out any unhelpful CV settings I may have left in place.  Equally, the track is clean (my Heljan BR Class 33 sound-fitted loco, 'zips' up and down the test track no problem art all), and I have cleaned the wheels (well, the rims anyway).  So, prior to resetting the CV's, it would reluctantly 'creep' very slightly in either direction but then stop (sounds continuing).  After resetting the CV's, it will move more 'enthusiastically' in either direction, but now stops and starts moving erratically or just cuts out completely.  My suspicion therefore, is that there may be an issue with the pickups (after all this time in storage and never having been run-in) and thus my need for a guide on maintenance.  These locos are quite fragile and fitted with a lot of easily damaged accessories/parts, so I would rather see some specific guidance first, before I blunder-in trying to get at the supposed problem with a 'pointy' screwdriver!

TIA

Steve N

[BTW, before anyone complains, whilst I have mentioned DCC above, this is not a DCC question but one of physical maintenance/access to a model loco that just happens to be a DCC equipped version]

Hi Steve,

Athearn Genesis locos are lovely but they do have a weak spot or two.

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/36003

Tells you how to improve the bogie (truck) pick-ups.

The other trick is to redo the way Athearn connects the pick-up wires to the circuit board. Pull off the black plastic covers, this will expose the hopefully stripped wires bent around the holes in the circuit board.

You can either ensure these wires are making contact before reattaching the black plastic covers OR simply solder them on.

I prefer to use solder but it’s your choice, if just getting the loco ready for sale, you may be happy with the quicker method.

Once these jobs are done, barring any other problems with the decoder, you should have a sweet running loco there.

Cheers,

John

• Informative/Useful 1

UPDATE: So I looked at the suggested mechanical intervention(s) and came to the conclusion that they were fraught with danger, as in the very act of trying to disassemble the loco (and especially the trucks) was likely to lead to physical damage.  As this is effectively a brand new and unused model that I want to sell, I decided that attempting to do that was not an option.  Interesting that the generally accepted solution for Athearn locos, is to immediately remove the stock wheels and replace them with NWSL (North West Shore Line) wheel sets.

So I reverted to just trying to clean the wheels and axles as best I could, to see if that would help.  Now I had already cleaned the wheel rims using a glass fibre brush -  not ideal, as that leaves a residue of broken off fibres, but at least I could get at the entire rim eventually, by getting the loco to creep further forward until the wheels had completed a revolution.  Next, I got a couple of very fine brushes (I'm sure I've got some of those tiny fibre brushes somewhere, but can't find them at the moment) and some isopropyl alcohol and carefully cleaned the wheel rims, in between the wheel backs and the gear cases and in between the truck sides and the wheel faces/axle spigots (where the pickups bear on the axle ends).  All this, in an attempt to clean out any fluff, fibres and excess oil/grease (there was some oil residue on the bottom of the trucks when I first opened the box the other day).  First time back on the DCC test track and there was a huge improvement!  Repeated the exercise when the wheels were at a location where the loco kept stalling, and the problem seems to have been all but eliminated.

Anyway, thanks for the responses and hope this might help someone else.  Only thing now, is I guess I should finally bite the bullet and get that rolling road I have been promising myself, so I can give such locos a proper running-in period as well.

Steve N

UPDATED 2 (22.11.2021): So, I did get a rolling road in the end (DCC Concepts 8-axle set) and gave the GP38-2 a running-in session on it (half an hour, at medium throttle, forward and then in reverse).  Then I repeated the cleaning exercise for the wheels/axles/axle stubs and all appears well.  Runs smoothly, without any jerking or stop/start. Also pleased with (my first) rolling road -  easy to use (though it comes already assembled for HO of course) and seems well made.  Already trying other 'display' locos I have, on it!  :good:

Edited by steveNCB7754