Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Improving a Weaver ACF Hopper.

Boxcab

I decided to improve the appearance of this ACF hopper as it looked a bit toy like when compared to the Atlas Master line & Lionel hoppers that I have.

The main thing that needed attention were the moulded running boards & grab handles. The running boards were replaced with Evergreen square strip & plastic mesh and the grab handles were made from brass wire. The trough hatches were made from plasticard to replace the original round ones.

The only cost was the plastic mesh which was about £2-00, the rest of the materials I had in stock.

Full details of this appeared in the August edition of Continental Modeller.IMG_1505.JPG.ecebe273b6b3ec2a7e6435a78b42e0b8.JPGIMG_1639.JPG.b41cb11bd06dd22fc0de4d698a736331.JPG 

IMG_1638.JPG.660b451de201cf07c279e89b92d7464d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Nice mods, the top-down view is what we often get first and solid roof-walks with molded (thick!) hand-grabs, etc helped Weaver keep the price down, but....  

My excuse for not doing mine yet is that I'm going to cut the middle two bays out for a cement hopper.

Jason

Ooh, very nice!   Unfortunately since my local 'Smiffs' closed down nearly 2 years ago I've not seen Continental Modeller at all.

I have a couple of these models that need these mods. On my Soo Line one I managed to get a Pecos River replacement brass 3-bay chassis, to which I soldered new stirrups out of brass strip, and replaced the Weaver trucks with Atlas roller bearing ones.

20200404_213829.jpg.82a427bf55ade594425388d22e9ede9e.jpg

20200404_214424.jpg.b1520bcda742e6fd7286bf2410f11b30.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

21 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I have a subscription: it’s always in stock there!

So if someone - anyone - just wanted a copy or scan of the article under consideration, then, just hypothetically you understand.....  ;)  :yes:  :friends:  :jester:

Edit - only just checked today's emails!!! "D'oh!! :rolleyes: "  and "Thank you, Sir!! :locomotive:" in equal measure!!!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
Mr Regularity is a Mind Reader!!!
  • Friendly/supportive 1