SECR Hythe-Sandgate tramway

This thread may be better suited in the tram section, but it is with some sadness to report that the old horse tram depot at Hythe was badly damaged by fire recently.

The timber building, formerly an Indian restaurant has been empty for a number of years. The roof is currently shored up with scaffolding. One minor benefit is that it is now possible to get a better view of the inscription and sECR crest in the stonework of the former office building behind it, which reads "South Eastern and Chatham Railway" and Hythe and Sandgate Tramway. The line was only ever horse operated and closed in about 1928. Two pairs of rails can still be seen in the pavement and also in the depot itself.

• RMweb Premium

This thread may be better suited in the tram section, but it is with some sadness to report that the old horse tram depot at Hythe was badly damaged by fire recently.

The timber building, formerly an Indian restaurant has been empty for a number of years. The roof is currently shored up with scaffolding. One minor benefit is that it is now possible to get a better view of the inscription and sECR crest in the stonework of the former office building behind it, which reads "South Eastern and Chatham Railway" and Hythe and Sandgate Tramway. The line was only ever horse operated and closed in about 1928. Two pairs of rails can still be seen in the pavement and also in the depot itself.

As someone involved in horse tram restoration this is very interesting. Is there any chance of posting a photo especially showing the rails.

Jamie

I@ll try and stop off in Hythe next time I'm past that way. There's a good book on the line from middleton press if I remember correctly. Interesting that the former office building is still there now converted to luxury homes, while the stables below are converted to garages for said yuppy homes.

• RMweb Premium

I@ll try and stop off in Hythe next time I'm past that way. There's a good book on the line from middleton press if I remember correctly. Interesting that the former office building is still there now converted to luxury homes, while the stables below are converted to garages for said yuppy homes.

Thanks for that. I'll look out for the book as we are always looking for new sources of information about horse cars. If you ae interested visit

http://leedshorsecar...squarespace.com which I run as a sort of blog to keep people updated about our project.

The above link won't display properly. it should read leedshorsecar107.squarespace but for some reason the editor is replacing the figures with dots. Hope this makes sense.

Jamie

The book you want is from Wild Swan, and covers both the SECR branch and the horse tramway. It's called something like "The Hythe and Sandgate branch" and is by Brian Hart. It's well worth tracking down. The Middleton press Ahsford-Dover book has a few photos, as has been mentioned already.

My grandparents lived in Hythe in the late 80's/early 90s. I remember going past the old tram depot many times.

Yes, you're right, it must have been the Wild Swan book I was thinking of. I lent it to s a friend and his house burnt down!! (No, he didn't live in the tramshed).

ISTR Gothenberg Tramways have a preserved horse car. Website is ringlinien. whatever the code is for Sweden. I know their chief engineer in the museum and their former membership sec.

Archived