BR crimson

• RMweb Gold

I know that colour perception is a very subjective matter, but what is the opinion out there as to which Crimson (& cream) shade is 'correct'? Bachmann favour a much darker shade compared to Hornby.

Do you really want to go there John? wink.gif

Do you mean which RTR gets closest to the 'right' rendition or what paint does?

This is discussed regularly on here, the most recent (sort of) being http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/12344-1948-1956-br-cream/

I don't think any of the RTR offerings get it right. Personally I think Hornby are closer (but no cigar) on the crimson but Bachmann's cream is better. We're either stuck with what we can 'adjust' with weathering, or having to resort to repaints.

FWIW my favoured colour for crimson is the Phoenix Precision BR Crimson (Faded).

• RMweb Gold

John,

Couldn't they both be 'right'?

Crimson is very prone to fading so in reality the same coach could have passed through the Hornby, Bachmann and Phoenix shades in its life time.

Cheers.

I agree with Taz. You can have a 5-coach rake of stock with five different shades of red: it is one of my more stupid ambitions to produce one in model form with only a black and white photo for reference.

There are so many factors which can affect how crimson appears to the onlooker, even without the vagaries of colour slide film - what colour is underneath, which works applied the paint, where the coach worked and how often it was cleaned to name but four!

Chris

Archived