Perishable van identification

This vehicle attracted attention last night during a discussion around the larger photograph.  It is of LNER K2 4672 at Greenwood with an up meat/perishables working.   Most of the identifiable vehicles were ex-NER but this one eluded us at the time.

NER_F4_poss_boarded_louvres.jpg.1ca1e899a1bf7e8bc83efd9c37f8128c.jpg

Is this an NER F4 with the upper louvres planked over and the lower ones rather less seamlessly blocked up?   The photo is in the later 1930s, we reckon, so the van would be approaching the end if its natural life by then.  Strapping and end handrails match, but the roof vents have gone (consistent with the side ventilation being blocked up).  Shame it's not possible to see whether the louvres between the end posts have also been discarded.

Unless anyone else has a better idea?

• RMweb Premium

It's white, and is the word below the N, REFRIGERATOR? From the point of view of an innocent / ignorant bystander, that suggests it was built that way - the work involved in converting a single-skinned louvre-ventilated van to a double-skinned refrigerator van would surely be excessive?

• Like 1

My thought was that the strapping ending three quarters of the way up the side and the boarding over where bottom louvres might have been were more suggestive of a retrospective conversion.   I agree it's refrigerated - unhelpfully, the ice hatches were inside, so we can't confirm their presence.    Jury's still out, I think.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 2