Masking corners on BR Blue/grey coaches

Does anybody have any tips on how to get the rounded corners on the grey window panel on blue/grey coaches?  I have (somewhere) a set of Fox Transfers white lining, which includes the corners, but how do I get they grey masked off?

I have considered packs of sticky labels, like Avery or similar.  Are these suitable for use as masking? Does anyone know which version I should use?

Thanks.

My only effort at this was many years ago, I think it was with PC Models transfers (now HMRS) for the lining but the paint was achieved by painting the grey first and then masking the grey for the blue to finish. Marking the outline on the tape and cutting it with a scalpel. The first one was cut on the model but it proved easier to take the dimensions from that one and draw the others on the masking tape loosely laid on the bench before applying the mask to the coach and spraying the blue.

• Like 1

Assuming 4mm? The radius is quite tight so I used to put a piece of masking tape at 45 degree angle at the corner, the white lining transfer sitting over either blue or grey paint at various points on the curve.  The XP64 coach in the photo below was done via this method.

image.png.6d8ead4953ce982a12966fc094ad4d59.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Railtec make transfers for lining BR coaches, the sheet contains straight white lines and the corners.  I’ve just done a coach using them.  On this cruel close up you can see I didn’t get it perfect, but from normal viewing distances it is fine.

F0AC612F-6418-4BB0-B560-0A03F81DE045.jpeg.b0c787a4a1fd9b01d993b745fb15d9b8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/12/2021 at 08:06, Daddyman said:

Remember also that Copydex (the cream-coloured smelly stuff in a pot and not, I think, the stuff in a tube) is the same as Maskol but lasts longer both in the pot and on the model, and is cheaper. 

I use the tube Copydex - perfectly effective, cheaper and far more convenient. 

Ian R

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2