1970 WCML freight services

lather

I've recently been going through the May 1970 LMR WTTs I have, looking at the WCML services in particular. While some of the listed freight services are easy to identify as to origin, destination, purpose and wagons used, others are more of a challenge.

For example, the 8P41 1124 Oakleigh Sidings to Corkickle is fairly easy to identify as a mix of fitted and unfitted Covhops carrying soda ash from ICI Winnington to Albright & Wilson's Marchon works.

But others can be harder to work out.

The 8S62 1300 Hardendale Quarry to Ravenscraig No. 1 - Hardendale to Ravenscraig means its almost certainly carrying lime for use in the steel-making process, and the Class 8 category would suggest more Covhops, but can anyone confirm the wagon type? (If it was the air-braked hoppers, which didn't start being used on that route until 1974, the WTT would list it as an air-braked service and it would run as a Class 6 or 6+, not a Class 8.)

The 6P40 1035 Brunswick to Lostock Hall D1140 is listed as a Class 6+ service, which means it can run at 60mph rather than the 55mph of a normal Class 6 service at the time. But what was it carrying and for who? The 1968 Freight Train Loads Book (so a couple of years earlier than the WTT) lists a service for that route in the "concentrated loads" section, hauled by a 9F and made up of 20 x 45T GLW tanks, 4 barrier wagons and a brake van.

The 6P52 Heysham Moss Sidings to Barrow Yard D1260 air-braked service is listed in the WTT as a Class 25 duty, and I assume it was carrying traffic from the ICI works there, but can anyone confirm wagon types, customer, product carried, etc? I know that the ICI works produced nitric acid, which is one of the chemicals used by BNFL at Sellafield, but if it is for them, why end the service at Barrow Yard when Sellafield is only a few miles further on?

And finally what about the 6F54 1317 Milnthorpe to Ellesmere Port D1111 air-braked empties, which is another Class 6+ service. Looking on the old maps, there was some sort of rail-connected facility by the station at Milnthorpe, which has now been replaced by a modern industrial estate. However, online searches have failed to identify what that originally was and if it was the origin of the train in question. So, once again, does anyone know what that train actually was?

• RMweb Gold

The Milnthorpe service might have something to do with the construction of the M6, there’s was a large contracting base near there. It presumably was conveying some kind of petrochemicals, which could have been for the a tarmac plant, or perhaps fuel for the construction plant. The Carnforth ~ Penrith section opened towards the end of 1970 after 2~3 years of work.

17 hours ago, 50A55B said:

The Libby’s factory at Milnthorpe was rail connected. It used to receive empty cans by rail, although apparently from Glasgow. I’ve no idea what the Ellesmere Port traffic was though.

Could it be bitumen for use during the M6 construction?

Regarding the Ravenscraig traffic; limestone would have been carried in unfitted or vac-fitted hoppers, or possibly tipplers, at that time.

The cans for Milnthorpe would probably come from Metal Box, who had two works at Carlisle. They had had some curious vehicles for this traffic; Vanfits that had been built with no doors, except a pair at one end. They must have been a nightmare to load and unload.

Brunswick despatched a number of weekly Esso block oil services in the 1970s. The Dingle oil terminal was adjacent on the banks of the River Mersey. There is a good view of it on the Britain from Above website. As Liverpool was redeveloped in the 1970s this terminal closed and greater use made of the Tranmere terminal on the other side of the Mersey.

Dallam Dave has an early 70s pic of a Brunswick to Drakelow working passing Bewsey, Warrington Central on his Flickr site behind D336.

It is a false assumption to associate class 8 freights with Covhops in the Hardendale question above. A class 8 freight at that time might convey a wide variety of wagons that could emanate from the quarry. At any given date in history there would be a few wagon types covering a range of headcodes/destinations.

I have a 1976 image of 84004 departing with 6T44 (shown in headcode panel) sheeted/unsheeted 16T minerals loaded with limestone in front of me.

BeRTIe 

Edited by BR traction instructor

If there was an M6 construction base near to Milnthorpe, then bitumen could make sense. From the same WTT and other sources, I've already positively identified the 6P44 Clitheroe to Shap as being cement from the Ribblesdale works at Horrocksfield to an offloading facility at Shap for M6 construction work.

Digging further into the history of Hardendale Quarry suggests that the lime kilns weren't installed until 1972, so it would have been unburned limestone, not finished lime, being shipped out. So yes, it probably would have been hoppers or tipplers in 1970, and the Class 8 category for the train suggests a mix of fitted and unfitted wagons.

I have various images of the traffic that interests you on file inc. 8S62 (loaded tipplers and ex ironstone hoppers) in 1972 behind a 37, 8P41 in 1969 & 1972 (2x25 on covhops with empty fitted opens for brakeforce/fitted head), they’re not mine so post your email address and I’ll copy some to you.

A 1967 image of a Co Bo departing the quarry with nbnd loaded ex ironstone hoppers is interesting. The consist includes two vanfits next to the brakevan, likely to be to reduce windblown lime dust from peppering the guard as the train progressed.

An Apr 81 pic shows a 47 at the quarry with LPG tanks.

7S73 passing Carlisle in 1967 is a block train of ex ironstone hoppers possibly for Ravenscraig behind a 37. A similar early 70s 8S73 shows the working being banked over Beattock.

BeRTIe

I have this 1970 trip notice for Carlisle on file, it includes a visit to Hardendale…note the two locations…Blencow & Flusco…on the Penrith to Cockermouth line too. Traincrew booking on duty for a Trip turn would typically be given a slip of teleprinter paper with the days work outlined on it. Obviously, there was no point in visiting a private sdg if no traffic was to be delivered or collected. Similarly, an extra trip/shunt could be added in its place…

BeRTIe

FE0C6F43-A8C5-4FFA-BA02-F5840AA094AE.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

On 08/12/2021 at 16:02, BR traction instructor said:

I have various images of the traffic that interests you on file inc. 8S62 (loaded tipplers and ex ironstone hoppers) in 1972 behind a 37, 8P41 in 1969 & 1972 (2x25 on covhops with empty fitted opens for brakeforce/fitted head), they’re not mine so post your email address and I’ll copy some to you.

A 1967 image of a Co Bo departing the quarry with nbnd loaded ex ironstone hoppers is interesting. The consist includes two vanfits next to the brakevan, likely to be to reduce windblown lime dust from peppering the guard as the train progressed.

An Apr 81 pic shows a 47 at the quarry with LPG tanks.

7S73 passing Carlisle in 1967 is a block train of ex ironstone hoppers possibly for Ravenscraig behind a 37. A similar early 70s 8S73 shows the working being banked over Beattock.

BeRTIe

Thanks for the offer of the pictures, although it's really just the info I'm after.

Re: your other post, I wasn't simply assuming Class 8 = Covhops and no other wagon types possible. I was also taking into account that the train was probably carrying lime, which would most likely be in covered hoppers - and as the BSC-owned hoppers weren't used on the Ravenscraig services until 1974, Covhops seemed the most likely option. However, as the further research showed that the kilns weren't at the quarry until 1973, it means that it has to be limestone, not lime, in the wagons, so less need for a covered hopper.

The Co-Bo train with the vans sounds interesting - I wonder if that was standard practice at the time, or done specially at the insistence of a particular guard?