Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gaugemaster DF controller voltage output

Standby

I have one of these old DF feedback controllers, should the 12v outputs remain steady like on the standard Gaugemaster analogue controllers, or does it fluctuate by a few volts? Mine does fluctuate and also the LEDs flicker, faster as you increase the voltage, whereas on the standard controller it is constant but gets brighter.

E634CD33-EAB6-461E-9344-D36F5F9FD505.jpeg.281d4261915c70fff96016c928d8459f.jpeg

I damaged a turntable drive, the Gaugemaster controller said 12 to 18 volts ( I think) but actually was putting out 21 volts , when I checked after the damage was done. Fortunately the turntable drive was replaced FOC, by Walthers,  when I explained how I had damaged it.

9 minutes ago, fulton said:

I damaged a turntable drive, the Gaugemaster controller said 12 to 18 volts ( I think) but actually was putting out 21 volts , when I checked after the damage was done. Fortunately the turntable drive was replaced FOC, by Walthers,  when I explained how I had damaged it.

The voltage does vary as you move the knobs, but rather than be a constant 2v, 6v, or whatever at a particular setting, it will fluctuate between 1-3, or 4-6, if that makes sense.

is it broken or is this what to expect on a controller with feedback?

Edited by Standby

I suppose the key issue is whether it does the job well or not? Does it power loco's smoothly?

Don't forget if it is faulty they have a lifetime guarantee. They put a new pot. onto my ancient handheld HH feedback controller, no quibbles at all.

5 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I suppose the key issue is whether it does the job well or not? Does it power loco's smoothly?

Don't forget if it is faulty they have a lifetime guarantee. They put a new pot. onto my ancient handheld HH feedback controller, no quibbles at all.

I haven’t tested it on a loco, all mine are now DCC. 

As for the lifetime guarantee, unfortunately I bought it second hand some time ago.

2 hours ago, Standby said:

I haven’t tested it on a loco, all mine are now DCC. 

As for the lifetime guarantee, unfortunately I bought it second hand some time ago.

The lifetime guarantee is still valid as long as it hasn't been tampered with.  It applies to new and secondhand purchases. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, smokebox said:

The lifetime guarantee is still valid as long as it hasn't been tampered with.  It applies to new and secondhand purchases. 

Okay, that’s useful to know. I’ll send them an email and see what they say.

Thank you.

I contacted Gaugemaster and they said I could send them back and they would inspect and repair if needed and if they had the parts.

They didn't say if what I have described is a likely fault. As I would need to pay for the postage to send them, could somebody with experience of these controllers let me know if what I have described is to be expected or if it sounds like there is a problem. 

I found a copy of the manual online and it says they have a "pulsed design", so I'm now starting to think what I have described is normal.

Thanks.

I have the same controllers they wont work with DCC fitted locos they are

designed for varied pulses so locos keep a constant speed, thats the

reason i use them you can get your locos to run as slow as you want,

not measured the voltage out put.

2 hours ago, paul 27 said:

I have the same controllers they wont work with DCC fitted locos they are

designed for varied pulses so locos keep a constant speed, thats the

reason i use them you can get your locos to run as slow as you want,

not measured the voltage out put.

Do the LEDs flicker, faster as you increase the voltage? Or do they remain on (unless at 0), but get brighter as you increase the voltage.

Thanks 

Yesterday I had a play with some of my controllers. The Gaugemaster HH is probably wired very similarly to yours and the output LED flickers especially at lower settings. The ECM Compspeed A is the same, so I suspect it's a feature of feedback controllers, after all the output is in the form of a pulse, rather than a steady, pure DC. Probably a bit like those old fashioned striplights which flicker at the ends, particularly when you glance at them out of the corner of your eye, because they are running on 50Hz AC.