Building a Pickersgill class 72

MacDuff999

One of the prototypes recently re-introduced by the new Nu-Cast/Branchlines partnership, is the ex-Caledonian Pickersgill class 72 4-4-0 locomotive. Developed from McIntosh's well-known Dunalastair series locos, they were a good-looking loco, and the Caledonian's last express passenger class. The design and assembly is quite similar to that used in many of the DJH locomotive kits in 4mm scale, with white metal suprestructure for loco and tender, and etched mainframes, spacers, and coupling rods. Instructions are included, and the guidance notes contained are clear, and supplemented with exploded sketch diagrams to help identify individual parts, and clarify the assembly process as necessary. Motor/gearbox is of course the modeller's choice, and suitable wheels can be obtained from Ultrascale, Markits or Gibson. My first step was to separate, tidy up and temporarily assemble the mainframes on the screw-in spacers provided, after opening out the axle holes to take the usual bearings for rigid running. Nothing was soldered at this stage. I also fitted a set of driving wheels (borrowed from an N2 kit!), to check the accuracy of the assembly and its smooth running. Having pre-read the instructions, one can identify where some modellers might wish to slightly amend the sequence of assembly, and opportunities for improvement of the kit by substitution of (say) turned parts in place of the kit's cast ones.     

CIMG1448.JPG

• Like 7

A little further detail, in that I have a set of Ultrascale driving wheels for the loco, which I ordered some time ago when I thought I might have to attempt a scratch-built model. That was before I found out the old Nu-Cast model was to be re-introduced, apparently by means of a lot of research and re-working of some components. At the time of ordering the drivers (anticipating the several month lead-time), I also obtained a set of Gibson bogie wheels, etched coupling rods from Lanarkshire Model Supplies, and a Caley Coaches tender kit from Jim Smellie. This tender kit will now go behind a DJH Caley 'Jumbo', as the fit of castings for the one in the kit is less than good. Unfortunately not the only issue with the kit, as also commented on elsewhere by a well-known, experienced modeller. Next job is soldering in of the axle bearings and etched spacers and testing of the squareness and free-running again, prior to assembling and attaching the bogie. Then comes test-fitting the footplate.   

• Like 1