Remove repaint or Paint over?

I have a loco body that I would like to repaint, someone has already done a repaint but it's so obvious, you can see from across the room.(there is an very obvious two tone effect). At least I think it's Acrylic, I can remove it with IPA, but the other half could be Enamel or Acrylic that has been varnished but I can't shift it. Would it be better to paint over, but I'm worried I could get an uneven finish, or try and soak it in a bath of something to remove it and start afresh?

Edited by Smudge617
Added further comment

• Smudge617 changed the title to Remove repaint or Paint over?

I use caustic soda (with the due caution as it's nasty stuff *). It will strip most paint, but may take a while. Some is extremely difficult to remove.

Obviously cold for plastic. For metal it can be heated, but take even more care! *

* Soap used to be made by dissolving fat in caustic soda!

• Agree 1

Try "Mr.Muscle" oven cleaner spray. Put body in a sealable bag, spray liberally, squeeze out the air and seal the bag. Leave for an hour, remove and wash in cold water with an old toothbrush. Thick paint may need second go. I've had a 98% success rate so far. Failing that, immerse in Dot 4 brake/clutch fluid. :good:

• RMweb Gold

Oven cleaner is the way to go. I always use ovenpride and it works very well indeed.

Place the model in a plastic bag with the oven pride and wait half an hour or so. You don't need to submerge it, just rub it on with a toothbrush. Works brilliantly.

Ian

If IPA removed it then I suspect it is acrylic of some sort, IPA or meths will remove several factory finishes including Mainline and Lima with very little effort.

Oven cleaner should remove most acrylics, apply liberally and seal in a plastic bag overnight. Brake fluid (cheaper the better) will remove enamel but it's foul stuff to use, dunk in the container and leave to soak overnight.

• Like 1

I stripped an unknown paint from a white metal tender with Dettol just lay the model in a suitable container and cover with Dettol. Soak for a few days then scrub off with a tooth brush and water.  Warning, it works well, is inexpensive, easy to use but it will reduce glued items to kit form. I know this!  :scratchhead: