exLSWR L12 30420 but where?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

This rather fine image courtesy of Mike Morant of exLSWR L12 30420 has been sitting in the Quality Street tin since forever. It is easy(ish) to date, was withdrawn September ‘51 and spent its final years in the Eastleigh area on various odd duties. The tender carries the full BRITISH RAILWAYS  rather than the early lion and it has a cabside number in 9” sans gill.

But where is that cutting? It is similar to Otterham on the NCR but unlikely and I was wondering if Downton tunnel on the S&DJR might be a contender as it the sort of line that was home to Drummond 4-4-0s at the end of their lives.

88B062BB-34A4-4A50-B55A-031AB5BCBAF4.jpeg.58ff211c47d0c0c67159d4423d49ada8.jpeg

The back of the postcard gives no clue but as Dad collected anything connected with the S&DJR, so that might be significant. 

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with you on Downton being likely since it getting to Cornwall seems unlikely in the period. Looking at lines around Eastleigh that were signle you end up with only the Mid Hants and the SDJR. 

Did you ever find that one of West Moors by the way?

Stay Safe and Happy Christmas

Duncan

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Meon Valley line?

That was my immediate thought too, and, having checked, the head code fits as well (although there were a lot of other lines, mainly branches or secondary routes, that also used that code).

• 2 weeks later...

L12 30420 was allocated to Eastleigh shed in 1947 and was withdrawn in 1951. Time period fits the photo and i was thinking this could have been taken on the Meon Valley line. I'll have to dig my books out on the Meon Valley line and see if we can verify this.

Cheers,

Chris 

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I have found the image at Privett, thank you. Eastleigh was the final destination for a number of non-standard elderly 4-4-0s and many found employment on secondary duties on East Hampshire’s backwaters. 

A short description and small album of images can he found here

The return of Terry Page’s wondrous kit for the  L12 is driving interest.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
28 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

That looks like a wonderful build of the L12 kit. May I perchance ask where one might be able to obtain Terry Page's kit for the L12 please ?

Cheers,

Chris

lswrpenguin@talktalk.net 

That would be a good contact for Terry Page

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

30420 was a popular loco with photographers or at least one photographer. Its final months at Eastleigh were spent on mundane duties on east hampshire byways, a pleasant enough end to an edwardian express loco. 

The following images of 30420 are links to the blog 

30420 at Privett 24.06.49 

and

30420 entering Fort Brockhurst on the Gosport branch

StaySafe