Devon banks vs Lickey Incline

Cor,  you can't please those with Midland allegiances - how about this then ? 

In truth, my old man said had some ripe things to say about both drivers and firemen under his charge at Neasden steam shed.  Both driving and firing an art.  Perhaps not helped these days by the quality of coal ?

I love anything on rails up to about 1990, steam (even Midland), diesel, electric - the lot.   A Western influence looms large.  However, I wish a certain Yorkshire Engine Co. Loco, F class L52 had been preserved, got a picture in the hall of Dad driving it near Amersham taken by HC Casserley.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Matt W

• Like 5

Just as an observation from some several hundred trips over the Devon Banks I was pretty much of the opinion that Hemerdon always seemed to be the steepest, or at least it was the one that would take the most work to get up. Even in a 153 I can remember topping the climb at about 15mph!

Then again, I was more used to a unit struggling up Luxulyan Bank on them reverse curves.....

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2021 at 20:56, LBRJ said:

Just as an observation from some several hundred trips over the Devon Banks I was pretty much of the opinion that Hemerdon always seemed to be the steepest, or at least it was the one that would take the most work to get up. Even in a 153 I can remember topping the climb at about 15mph!

Then again, I was more used to a unit struggling up Luxulyan Bank on them reverse curves.....

Hemerdon is a long hard slog from what almost amounts to a cold start with an engine coming on at Plymouth (even if the fire is in tip-top condition.  Usually a train tackling Dainton had the advantage of an engine which had been working although for some crews it was getting to the end of their turn and the fireman would be tiring.  the permitted loads with steam over both banks were exactly the same.

The south Devon banks wre beyond teh capability of aBlue Pullman running on one engine hence an idea if possibly using one on 'The Golden Hind' never came off.  Following trials HSTs were at one time  banned from ascending Dainton on one engine and had to be assisted from Newton Abbot if they had an engine out.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hemerdon is a long hard slog from what almost amounts to a cold start with an engine coming on at Plymouth (even if the fire is in tip-top condition.  Usually a train tackling Dainton had the advantage of an engine which had been working although for some crews it was getting to the end of their turn and the fireman would be tiring.  the permitted loads with steam over both banks were exactly the same.

The south Devon banks wre beyond teh capability of aBlue Pullman running on one engine hence an idea if possibly using one on 'The Golden Hind' never came off.  Following trials HSTs were at one time  banned from ascending Dainton on one engine and had to be assisted from Newton Abbot if they had an engine out.

Re HSTs.  Just to add that even when routine piloting of HSTs on one engine ended, there were various restrictions imposed over the banks (which varied depending on whether it was a 2+7 or 2+8 formation) such as requiring a clear road between designated signals and not being allowed to stop at Totnes on the down or Torquay on the up.  There are similar restrictions on the Lickey too covering not just HSTs but Voyagers and 15x/170 DMUs with engines out.

Talking of Torquay, it's never mentioned in the same breath as Dainton, Rattery, Hemerdon or St.Davids to Central but the climb on the up line, although not quite as steep as bits of the others, could be pretty challenging from a standing start.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, DY444 said:

Talking of Torquay, it's never mentioned in the same breath as Dainton, Rattery, Hemerdon or St.Davids to Central but the climb on the up line, although not quite as steep as bits of the others, could be pretty challenging from a standing start.

In the 80s I was on a Class 142 on a rainy day that barely made it from Torquay to Torre, with frequent slipping of the wheels.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 07:26, DY444 said:

Re HSTs.  Just to add that even when routine piloting of HSTs on one engine ended, there were various restrictions imposed over the banks (which varied depending on whether it was a 2+7 or 2+8 formation) such as requiring a clear road between designated signals and not being allowed to stop at Totnes on the down or Torquay on the up.  There are similar restrictions on the Lickey too covering not just HSTs but Voyagers and 15x/170 DMUs with engines out.

I had the experience of being on a 170 which tried to ascend the Lickey on one engine - didn't make it, stalled where the minor road crosses underneath near the pond (Vigo??). After a delay the train ran back to Bromsgrove which was in its recently rebuilt state thus enabling the passengers to cross a platform and board a CC Voyager.