Book recommendation

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Looking for books with a wealth of illustrations that cover the lesser known lines around Camberly-Ash Vale and Guildford. Any recommendations?

I find it odd that these lines and locations tend to be overlooked as subjects for the modeller. 

Thank you

I think Middleton, and some bits on Disused Stations, may be about the extent of it. They are an overlooked set of lines, and I can only guess that is because they were mostly electrified pre-WW2, or because the whole lot is so confusing!

Oh, and there is a good little book about the Tongham line by Peter Harding.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I bought Terry Gough’s West Surrey and Peter Hay’s Steaming thru’ Surrey by MP, I still have dad’s photos from the Tongham special hauled by 30434. The area is neglected by modellers, not a disadvantage as I won’t be treading on someone’s pet project. 
Maybe, I was lucky buying the last Artitec utility store, perfect for a military siding? The area is well provided with military facilities, all potential traffic sources. 
My wife likes the name ‘Frimley Hatches’, the line skirts around around a number of ponds (hatches) just south of Frimley. 

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold

There is the Middleton Press 'Branch lines around Ascot' which covers the Ascot to Ash Vale line in relative detail, with track plans. There are a few colour photos of the line in Michael Welch's 'A Southern Electric Album'. I think the lack of photos is that the line was electrified quite early on, so there was not a huge amount of steam traction on the line (most diversions from the SWML going via Virginia Water to Weybridge).